What does Apple do with faulty iPhone???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RicoLoco, Dec 14, 2008.

1. RicoLoco macrumors newbie

What does Apple do with the faulty iPhones that are brought in to their stores and that obviously contain or have contained private information such as banking info or email account logins and passwords. Do they have a stated policy and does it involve privacy protection measures? Thanks for your time!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I doubt they look at any of your info. They fix the phone and if the HD is still intact they wipe it and do the restore like we would do. They get countless broke iPhones.

3. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

a genius told me that they send them back to the apple headquoters and then they have no idea what happens there.

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

They usually refurbish (fix and shine up) returns, and then sell them or use them as replacements.

Apple didn't used to clear old info. So, yes, your old personal information could be obtained with the right tools. It made headlines when it was first done on a refurbished model. Read more here.

Nowadays I believe that Apple acts more responsibly and actually clears the data.

For more info, Google "iphone erase personal information" or the like.

5. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

A friend of mine works with Apple and he said that they remove the valuable parts from the faulty iPhones and the rest goes into the trash.
    He also said that they always trash the flash memory, the casing and the battery.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You mean throw away the flash? It's soldered in, and it's expensive.

It's well known that refurbs have had 1) previous owner information in the flash, and 2) scratches on the casing.

7. svndmvn Guest

I have sent mine in for repairs a few times (of course got new or refurbs instead) and in the process I got some Calendar events, birthdays and such, it is quite funny..it is kinda strange as I've always restored from backup.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That's just scary. :eek:

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

When I had my iPhone replaced the other day, I saw the genius use the "erase all data" thing on my old phone.

10. svndmvn Guest

yup, especially since my first two ones were new in box, and the refurbs, just like the last new one have been sent to me from the Netherlands and the events/birthdays are in Italian.