what does apple do with this generation MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by preppyclubguy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. preppyclubguy macrumors member

what does able do with this generation MBP when the new ones come out? do they try to sell them for cheaper? or sell them off the places like macmall?

if i can get this generation mbp for a few hundred less when the new one comes out i might just do that. so does anyone know what happens this this model
    ?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They will usually put them on clearance on the Apple Store web site, or keep them as warranty replacement machines.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

i was under the impression, that they only give the latest hardware out as replacement machines.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not necessarily. If you send it in for service, and they decide to replace it - they may replace it with one from old or refurbished stock.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

7. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

interisting. i wasn't aware of that. I have a 2007 SR mbp that i have to send in for replacement, i've allready been told i qualify for replacement. However, i need my computer, which still functions for the most part, until the beginning of may. Hopefully, by then i'll be able to get the latest model out for replacement. My warrenty expires halfway through june

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

They give them to charity...

ROFL, sorry, I couldn't say that in person and keep a straight face. Steve Jobs and charity? Haha. :rolleyes:

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What you get will just depend on what they have at the time. They probably wont have any 2007's left.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Possibly..... Or maybe they'll be able to repair it.

If they don't have any 2007's left over, and they decide to do a full replacement, I would think that they'd probably give one of the current C2D's as opposed to one of the new upcoming models. Just makes sense to me.....

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Agreed. That's what I was getting at with my first post in the thread. Once new ones come out, the current ones will become clearance/refurb or go into storage to serve as replacements.

12. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Well, i know i get a full replacement whenever i send it in. I've had 2 logic board replacements, 2 left i/o board replacements, 3 harddrive replacements, a superdrive replacement, 2 fan replacements, and some other random stuff replaced, all since january of this year. so they promised me that next time it gets sent in for any reason i get a new one. They told me normally they replace mbps with whatever the newest model out is, but they recommend getting it replaced at an apple store to guarantee this, because they don't have old stock normally. Thats what the customer relations person told me anyways. The problem is, the closest apple store to where i live is 3 hours.

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Well, if you want the newest one when they come out, you'll have to drive. Sending it in almost guarantees a now-current model, rather than the newest one.

14. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

thats what i was thinking. It'll probably wait till may, after i take the MCAT, and make a sat trip. Stinks, but it will be totally worth it.

15. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

:D

16. Watermonkey macrumors member

Watermonkey

Actually, that got me thinking, which can be unpredictable when I've had three shots of vodka as I've had tonight, but they may also use that stock to send out to studios for props in some TV show or movie...

17. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

true, but that wouldn't use all that much stock. I always thought most of the new stock is sent to places such as macmall and macconnection, they typically sell older generations macs as well as new ones.