What does apple mean by this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seeforyourself, Dec 6, 2014.

1. seeforyourself macrumors regular

Ok. So I have a late 2011 15" macbook pro (high end model)

So I had a macbook pro defective hinge with 180 days left on my extended applecare they replaced the hinge. They gave it back to me with it being very loose so they tightened it and when i got it back it was offcenter (crammed up on one side and made a clicking noise) so they replaced the display which fixed the hinge problem.

When i got home later that day with the laptop the display would cut out then come back on randomly. I brought the laptop back the next day and showed them a video of it happening (it happens randomly and only happened twice)

they told me that they are going to try one last thing and they were going to send it off and they will replace everything necessary and see if it works.

What did they mean "We will try last thing?" are they going to give up on me? LOL

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Generally they will perform several repairs then it's a full replacement as it's more cost effective but that's there choice.

3. seeforyourself, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

seeforyourself thread starter macrumors regular

What does apple mean by this?

They don't make the non retina 15" anymore though...

4. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

If they can't fix it on this try they may opt to replace it with the comparable model they currently sell. In your case it would likely be the high end 15" rMBP.

5. dyt1983, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

6. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors regular

so I'd have to wait another week to get a refurbished ? between my semester ending and my job I can't afford not having a laptop

7. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

If they do a full replacement under warranty they replace it with a new Mac from their stores stock. They don't replace it with a refurb.

Your either going to hear back from them that they have replaced a boat load of parts on your current Mac and gotten it working, or they will ask you to come in and do a replacement with a new rMBP in store. All of this depends how your current repair goes.

8. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors regular

oh ok. hopefully they'd give me the one with a dedicated graphics card because I heard the new ones with the iris pro isn't good for gaming...

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

The iris pro is more powerful than your current ATI card, so if that one suits your needs at the moment, you're fine.

10. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors regular

my current one has the AMD 6770 1gb

the Intel iris pro isn't good for steam (gaming software) it runs smoother on AMD/Nvidia

11. paolo- macrumors 6502a

You could make a case that you had a dedicated graphics card and would want one in your replacement. However, looking at benchmarks between the two, the Iris Pro edges your AMD in most games. In practice, the Iris Pro will probably throttle less than your current AMD giving you a more stable framerate.