What does apple mean by 'turn-by-turn'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tombarnes, Mar 24, 2009.

1. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

I have been gagging for my iPhone to double up as my satnav since the 3G came out with a GPS chip.

So when apple announced it will allow developers in 3.0 to use corelocation for turn-by-turn directions, I was very excited. But, should I be? Are they saying that the likes of tomtom and Garmin will be allowed to create apps with full satnav features such as voice commands?

Cheers!

Tom

2. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Yes. :)

3. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Yup, so Apple can't make a native one, but Garmin can get one on the App Store.

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

This is phenomenal...next question would be...

How much are the apps that offer this service going to be?

It would have to be somewhat competitive for those of us who already have a tomtom or garmin. (Atleast in my eyes)

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Here's my idea for the U.S. version of turn-by turn:

The application would be $0.99.

Then you pay $1.99 per state that you want to have turn-by turn in or you could pay $29.99 and have all 50 states.

6. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

So your purchase the ability to have the maps, and just buy the maps individually as you need them? I love the concept, but somehow I don't see it.

I makes perfect sense, but then again...so did having turn by turn from day one. :p

7. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

I hope you never go into marketing for these people. Those are some wicked numbers that don't make very much sense. $2/state or $30/all 50 states....why pay $30 for buying 15 individual states (or $100 if you bought each individually god forbid) when you could have the full package for the same price.

However, in all honestly, I would probably pay up to $50 for a turn-by-turn application made by the likes of Garmin or TomTom. Even that sounds like a great bargain.

8. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

It only makes sense for those that don't already have a portable gps unit.
    I can't drive down the interstate without seeing 4 out of 5 cars with a tomtom or garmin plastered in their window...not to mention those that have built in gps.

I still think, it would need to be priced more competitive than that to be worthwhile.

9. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

It's not at all uncommon to offer a volume discount when lots of things are ordered all at once, or conversely charge a higher per-unit price for smaller orders.

Of course, it's certainly up for debate whether or not the specific numbers listed above would hit the sweet spot.

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

And I wonder how many of those folks with in-car GPS use them all the time for getting to places they drive to almost every day? :D

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I just pulled those numbers out of my corn hole. I do think that this is how they will implement it.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Just the TomTom Navigator software for other phones is sold for $80 - $100.

However, from the BGR rumors, it sounds like ATT has taken an interest in adding their own apps to the iPhone. And Apple now has support for subscription software.

So it would not be surprising if ATT offers their Navigator for the usual monthly $9.95.

13. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Whatever comes from this, I only hope that the application allow you to listen to content on the iPhone while running, while mixing the voice prompts into the audio (lowering the iTunes audio volume).

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It makes perfect sense.

Most people wouldn't need more than 5-10 states. So the vast majority of customers are spending less than $10.

With that offer there's a good chance that many peole would say "what the heck, better to be safe" and just buy the all-states package.

Thus, he's turned a LOT of $10 customers into $30 customers.

How is that bad marketing?

EDIT: I don't believe these numbers either, I'm just saying, if they used his system, the way he's set it up makes sense.

15. diemos macrumors 6502

I think that's a great idea.

16. khkman22 macrumors member

Sounds like someone has never looked at AT&T's text messaging rates.