What does attaching an Apple ID to your user account actually do?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by haravikk, Oct 12, 2011.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

I don't remember seeing the option in Snow Leopard so I think it's new for Lion, but you can attach your Apple ID to a user account by simply entering the details on install, or going into the Users & Groups preference pane.

However, I can't for the life of me perceive any benefit in doing so? The two apps that ask for it the most, iTunes and the Mac App Store, still ask me to enter my blood Apple ID for every single action I want to check.

I can understand the possible security concerns for entering it when making a purchase or such, but surely I should just be able to get an administrator style prompt to fill in the details, or maybe a keychain-style one such that I can have iTunes or the Mac App Store sign me in automatically for these things all the time, and I'll handle keeping miscreants away while I'm logged in.

I dunno, it just seems really pointless since you end up having to enter the details all the time anyway :)

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

What it does is allow you to log into your account using your Apple ID, in case you forget your username and password. You're thinking about it backwards (I know, it's not particularly clear the way it's described). It's of minimal usefulness, but for that one time you need it, it could be really nice.

jW

3. haravikk thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah! So it's a login alternative? In that case I managed to miss the description entirely as I couldn't enter the ID at install (I use 1Password so it's a random password), that makes a bit more sense then, especially if it works with some of the common sharing services.

No use to me since my Apple ID isn't any more convenient, but handy I suppose. Still, it seems a wasted opportunity with many of Apple's own programs being Apple ID aware.