What does Bootcamp do that a manual install will not?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sev, Nov 23, 2014.

1. sev macrumors member

Hi all,

like many on here I am having issues with bootcamp on Yosemite.

Foolishly I deleted my previous bootcamp partition and thought to do a clean format and install with yosemite.

I used the bootcamp assistant and it would not allow me to create an thumb drive from my .iso image

I also could not get bootcamp to finish partitioning the drive as it always came back with an error.

I have my superdrive installed (macbook pro 2010) and yet t won't recognise the installation disc from my windows 7 professional retail edition.

So my question is, I have already downloaded the 5.1 bootcamp files, and thus what difference is there to just partitioning my drive manually and installing the windows CD with an ALT+restart?

mot frustrating especially as 10.8 / 10.9 bootcamp was so effortless to install.

thanks in advance.

Sev.

2. asriznet macrumors regular

Is this Apple External Superdrive that you are using on your Macbook Pro? If yes, I believe it will not be usable with any disc. what happened to the internal superdrive on the MBP?

This will not work because your mac will not boot into the Windows installation disc as you would expect it to be because mac uses different bootloader hence the only way is to use bootcamp.

What's the error you are getting for this?

If you cannot use the internal superdrive of the MBP, you'll need to figure out the problem with the USB install.

3. sev thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your reply.

I don't have an external drive, its the superdrive that the MBP 6,1 (mid 2010) came with.

I have a retail windows 7 professional iso file, but the bootcamp assistant won't even see it, showing only the download bootcamp files and partition disc options.

The iso is 3.32gb and I had an 8gb memory stick installed ready for the installation.

when I partition the volume it says the following: (always 1.3rd of the way in)

Your Disk could not be partitioned
    An error occurred while partitioning the disk

I tried verify and repair with disk utility and all seems ok.