what does buy only if need, computer at end of course

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seattlecal, May 25, 2009.

1. seattlecal macrumors member

Sorry, that's not exactly how the phrase is written but hopefully you understand what I am trying to say. It says that for the mac pro laptop which I've been wanting to get but not for probably at least another four months. So if the macpro is almost done does that mean a new model will take it's place and is it any of your guys opinion to wait til that computer comes out. And is there any idea when that would be coming out. Any help would be totally helpful as I'm still navigating through this computer maze and want to get the best I can as my ibook of 5 years appears to be on it's last legs. But I think it can hang in there until the new model if indeed a new model is coming out. Thanks so much:)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know what you mean by new model (and "macpro" being almost done), as the MacBook Pro (PowerBooks) has just been renewed in a new casing, and in January the MBPs got a little speed bump.

You can have a look here for a statistic look on Apple's update cycle:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Also have a look here: http://www.apple.com/mac/

3. seattlecal thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply

So are you suggesting getting a mac pro? Is that the best you suggest. I'm going to be getting it in about four months would you still get it then or wait for the new model? I just looked at that page and it says buy only if needed, approaching end of a cycle. This is what I was trying to say with the other words that may have confused you. This comment is what confuses me. It's what's got me asking whether or not macpro is ending(approaching the end of a cycle). Just totally confused by the comment.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sorry, English is not my mother's tongue, so I'm confused about what you are saying.
    Are you talking about the Mac Pro or the MacBook Pro (MBP)? You need to get your names straight, as from your original post I gathered you spoke about the MBP and not the Mac Pro, so I answered considering the MBP.

In four months maybe an update will arise, but it is expected/rumored that in the last quarter of 2009 or first quarter of 2010 the MBP will be updated to a Quad Core CPU, so if you could wait that long, wait.

In four months we will maybe have seen a speed update to the MBP, and the Mac Pro is likely to see an update early next year.

5. goMac macrumors 603

It means exactly what it says. Buy only if you need it. It pretty much could be updated at any time (starting early next month), but if you need it now, buy it.

6. seattlecal thread starter macrumors member

talking about the laptop mac pro I think it's the macbook pro

Sorry if I confused any of you. But I'm gathering that this is still a good computer to buy and the fact that's it's at the end of a cycle does not mean much as you can always make it currents with updates. I appreciate both your replies they are very helpful. If it's still the best to buy than I will get it but I also may wait a little while to see if in fact it is renamed and made much better. Smart or stupid? Let me know. It's going to be at least four months anyway. Thanks for your help! So it may be called a quad pro cpu. Might have to wait for that one.