Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I just noticed this today, and have never seen it before.

I noticed it on Google Voice, on the Home screen. (On iOS 11, obviously.) if I'm remembering right, the name of the program was replaced with the text "Cleaning..." and the program was grayed out, how it looks when it's being updated.

Anyone know what that means? My guess would be some kind of maintenance task that iOS is doing, and either I've never seen it before, or iOS never used to do it, or iOS 11 bothers to tell you it's happening.

Probably a good/cool thing, but I'm always curious about technical stuff :)

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
I just noticed this today, and have never seen it before.

I noticed it on Google Voice, on the Home screen. (On iOS 11, obviously.) if I'm remembering right, the name of the program was replaced with the text "Cleaning..." and the program was grayed out, how it looks when it's being updated.

Anyone know what that means? My guess would be some kind of maintenance task that iOS is doing, and either I've never seen it before, or iOS never used to do it, or iOS 11 bothers to tell you it's happening.

Probably a good/cool thing, but I'm always curious about technical stuff :)
It’s a good and a bad thing. In my experience, the “cleaning” text will occur when your device requires additional free space. When storage gets low, and the user tries to do something like download an app, iOS will clear this app’s local cache to clear free space.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Huh, weird. Thanks for the info! In my case, I have my storage over half filled, but still have many GB left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.