What does "do not disturb" silence

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Husky1992, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Husky1992 macrumors regular

Husky1992

will do not disturb silence all alerts (e.g. imessage, sms, whatsapp, emails, 3rd party sms apps, etc) or only incoming calls?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

All of the above.

3. phositadc macrumors 6502

Unless your screen is on in which case some notifications still inexplicably make noise even if you have DND set to be silent when screen is on.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Some notifications within some apps. Unfortunately not all of them seem to adhere to DND settings, although some offer their own in-app sound/vibration controls at least.

5. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

is there a way I can receive "all of the above" except calls when DND is on?

I use my iphone to record class lecture and if there is a call it will stop the recording...

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As far as I know, calls always interrupt what you're doing.

7. Shuri macrumors 6502

If you're in lecture you'd probably have a wifi usable? If so you could turn on AirPlane mode and then manually turn on wifi. You wouldn't get any Calls or texts then.

8. Husky1992 thread starter macrumors regular

Husky1992

not if I'm on DND

this could be an idea, thanks;)

9. hafr macrumors 68030

Could you give a few examples of such notifications?

10. phositadc macrumors 6502

Imessage and good for enterprise immediately come to mind. Imessage may have been fixed actually, but good for enterprise is definitely not fixed.

11. hafr macrumors 68030

I have never tried "Good for enterprise", but I never had any problems with iMessage pushing notifications through DND... I hope they fixed it so you no longer have these problems!

Although I know DND doesn't kill non-system notification alerts, such as WhatsApp's in-app notifications...

12. phositadc macrumors 6502

Good for enterprise are also in app notifications. I wish DND killed them. I often check my work email first thing when I wake up and it's annoying for it to ding at me even with DND on.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Depends on how you set it up in DND settings--you can do it so they no calls interrupt, only some calls interrupt, all calls interrupt, etc.

----------

FaceTime and iMessages (and various other notifications) can still go through with Wi-Fi, so that's something to keep in mind. DND would likely be a better overall choice for most in situations like that, or perhaps some combination of both even.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Having just accidentally dealt with this when it came to in-app alerts in the Messages app, it's still kind of amazing that with the improvements in DND it still doesn't work for those in-app notifications. And in the case of Messages there really even isn't a way to turn just those off either.

15. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

It's easier to say what Do not Disturb DOESN'T silent.

Alarms, there, that was easy!

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, more than just that it seems.