What does (Early 2008) mean?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blur35mm, Jan 8, 2008.

1. blur35mm macrumors member

Besides the obvious...I was pumped on the news today (including that Gibbs is retiring...hoping my Skins light a fire with a new coach!)...

...but alas, this "(early 2008)" information makes me pause just as I am about to click ORDER on a new 8 core. I suppose NAB will be the big news drop if they add Blu Ray as well.

My G4 is just about 6 years old now and I bought top of the line back then. I will buy top of the line next too...but not if there is gonna be a total revamp this year. I suppose my G4 will last a few more months...but Apple is really delaying my $$ in their pockets. Too bad the iPhone interfered...they lost focus on the mac pro line for sure. Boooo Steve Jobs...you left us power users behind...boooo....but....HOORAY BEER!

Looks like my Mac Pro brakes are on yet again.

Cheers-
    Blur

Dual 1ghz G4 Quicksilver
    OWC Upgrades: 1.5 GB 3-2-2 Ram, eSata, USB2.0, 16x Superdrive, Storage Storage Storage!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You gotta be kidding. Just add a Blu-ray drive to the second bay! (third party)

3. blur35mm thread starter macrumors member

I'm not on hold for a Blu Ray drive....

but why shell out $5k for an early 2008 model when I can shell out $5k for a Late 2008 model that is new form factor (speculation) with extra goodies?

I have been waiting a long time....just frustrating is all...

What is frustrating is the iPhone is cool (i do not have one), but they totally lost focus on the desktop line...which is where I do all my work that matters.

Even this early 2008 lineup is sweet with the 8cores, but it is really not all that exciting...just adding a few more options to the config list.

built in bluetooth is nice...but come on....where is the excitement? There really isn't any...

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

The time of the year (early, mid, late) goes into every product name.

http://support.apple.com/specs/

Doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a hardware update to the line later in the year.

5. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

That is just a model specifier. For instance, there was an iMac (early 2006,) iMac (late 2006) and iMac (Mid 2007) It has no bearing on whether one will be released later within the year. Stop waiting. There will always be something newer. Just jump in and get it.

6. blur35mm thread starter macrumors member

I could get screwed too...remember the mirrored drive door quicksilver had the sucking wind problems...that was next gen after my G4

...I am checking with OWC about their 4GB Ram if compatible or not...bought a new Jeep for xmas so now need to scrape some $$ together...

Anyone have advice for XP vs Vista in a Boot Camp install? I won't run Parallels as I have it at work and it is a memory hog...

7. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

Early 2008 means that it came out in Early 2008.

8. uNext macrumors 6502

You know BLUR

With that mentality why dont you just wait 5 more years
    by then imagine the "TOP OF THE LINE" stuff you will have....
    ohh wait but then 6 months later something better then what you have will come out hmmmmmm whats a mac fan to do?

9. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Yeah, you should probably keep waiting. I hear the Mac Pros are due an update any day now...

And so, it begins once more. :rolleyes:

10. newtech macrumors 6502

Apple uses such appellations as ( early 2008 ) to differentiate visually similar members of a product family. It in no way can be construed as concrete evidence of future members or timings in that product family.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Why ever buy anything then. Sheesh....

12. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

Talk about picky. Buy the damn thing or move on!

13. Madhawk macrumors regular

Madhawk

Why shell out $5k for an 2008 model when you can shell out $5k for a 2009 model that is new form factor with extra goodies?...
    You will never catch up with technology, the secret is to buy early so that it will last you longer. ;)

14. blur35mm thread starter macrumors member

Cannot move on....LOVE OS X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You all have convinced me to drink the Kool Aid...

Will get dual 3.0ghz...8800GT....XP Boot Camp Partition...4GB RAM (From OWC Though) and a 15k RPM Drive....

What would I do without youz guyz... :D

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

It doesn't indicate anything about future models, just specifies the time of year it came out. Jan - Apr is probably "Early", May - September "Mid" and October - December "Late".

That said, if I don't buy now I'll be hoping there's a (Late 2008) or (Early 2009) Mac Pro :D

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You should have seen our replies coming a mile away. You are lucky you have us.

Everything is going to be. OK.

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Now is a great time to buy. There may be a processor speed bump down the line, but it is likely to be minimal for alot more money (no price reduction on current options). The next big revision will surely be for Nehalem, which may not be ready in the way the Apple will need it for the Mac Pro until 2009. Infact I wouldn't expect a Nehalem Mac Pro until Q2 2009 based on AMD's current status, Apple's regard towards the MP and Vendor ability to deliver Workstations based on Intel's release dates.