What Does Firewire Do On a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMacBookPro, Dec 8, 2011.

1. iMacBookPro macrumors member

iMacBookPro

I got my new MacBook Pro yesterday, running on OS Lion. I was just wondering how fire wire works. Do you need a special plug? What does it to? I hear people talking about it and I am so clueless. Please help! Very CONFUSED! Thanks for the help! :apple:

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

firewire is like usb.
    it is used to transfer data.
    you need special peripherals to use it.
    they usually cost more
    Firewire (or FW) speeds are faster then USB 2.0

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's an interface, used primarily to connect to external hard drives. Firewire 400 is slightly faster than USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 is 2-3 times faster, which means data transfers take less time with Firewire than with USB 2.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire

4. iMacBookPro thread starter macrumors member

iMacBookPro

Thanks wrinkster22

Thanks for the help.! :apple:

5. Gillespie81 macrumors regular

i use firewire for my external hd. a lot faster then the usb plug on it.

6. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

7. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

So according to your logic no one should ever post anything on a forum, because for most things you want to know it has been asked already on the internet and there is an answer (which I agree that most things have already been asked and answered on the internet).

So what you are really suggesting is that we close down all forums, lock all posts and never let anyone ask a question again? Ridiculous. Duncanbrodie, you need to lighten up a little or drink your coffee before posting in the AM.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yep :D

lighten up. If I could have, I probably would have LetMeGoogleThatForYou'd firewire, too ;)

9. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Careful, I took a two day vacation from the forum for linking somebody to google (in an arrogant, sarcastic manner...heh)

10. mape2k macrumors regular

It has not been mentioned here that there is another nice advantage to FireWire: Daisy Chaining.

You can connect multiple FireWire accessories through one port, but chaining them together, e.g. you could have more than 1 external HDD connected to one port. The speed does not get cut but is the same for all drives! Whoop whoop!