What does "Forget This Network" actually do?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Herdfan, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Because it surely doesn't forget a home network that I don't want it to every connect to again.

I have 2 networks running in my house. One is a standard Airport Extreme password protected network. The other is run by a Linksys wireless router that connects my Crestron touchpanels to the control system. There is no password on this network because 1) it slows down the touchpanels and 2) there is really nothing to protect.

The linksys router broadcasts an SSIS of "Crestron" and on occasion, both my and my wife's iPhone 4's will try and connect to this wireless network. It has no internet capability so I don't want to be connecting to it.

I have used the "Forget This Network" button for this network, but it doesn't seem to work. It seems that once it finds this network again, it will keep going back to it.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. wpotere Guest

If you don't want to be prompted for the network, you need to turn off the auto search for networks. What Forget my network does is tell the device that you no longer want to auto connect to it. Once you connect to a network, the device will remember it and automatically connect you when you are in range.

3. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not that I am prompted. It just keeps going to it even though it shows up 3rd in my list.

I have in order:

Airport Extreme 1 (WPA2)
    Airport Extreme Guest
    Crestron

But for some reason it keeps wanting to connect to "Crestron".

4. Sc00tr macrumors regular

That is what "Forget this network" is fore. It should be removing it from the list. seems like you are having a problem with it. Try doing a hard reboot and then forget this network.