What Does Google N Mean for Future iPhone Updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nviz22, Mar 10, 2016.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

I know you might say "this is an iPhone forum, what does Google have anything to do with iOS and Apple?"

Well, I am glad you asked. So with a major Android update coming out in the summer rather than coinciding with a major phone release, does this mean Apple will push out future iOS major updates quicker? IE, iOS 10 earlier than a iPhone 7 release, 11 w/ 7S, etc?

Or will Apple stand pat because they know what they're doing and don't need to "compete" with others? Their profit margins are record setting.

I don't think it will make a difference to them, but it would be interesting to hear how people view iOS' future with updates?

2. Newtons Apple, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Nothing

While they watch Google, they will not change their schedule because Android get a new update. They have never done it before.

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Apple doesn't care. Android N is mostly implementing features already found in iOS 9, such as quick reply, split-screen multitasking and PIP. So no. Apple will always show things ahead of time at WWDC and then work through the beta and then release. They didn't do that the first year because there was no App Store, so developers didn't have anything they needed to update. From there on out there was always a beta. I think the first couple betas were in the spring and then it launched in the summer. Then Apple realized that it makes more sense to preview at a developers conference so they can do sessions on all the new stuff and then launch in the autumn with a big splash alongside new hardware. Launching new hardware closer to the holidays is generally a better strategy as people are possibly less likely to buy a phone that will be updated in 6 months vs one that just came out. I think they've got a good system down now but they won't change it to be reactionary towards Android. If anything I hope these early Android releases push them to add even more stuff to beat the competition—as long as they can keep up the quality which has been a little shaky over the past couple years.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm not sure what it means either. Doesn't mean anything to me.

5. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Some of the key new features of an iOS release take advantage of the new hardware so likely wouldn't release it prior to a hardware release.

6. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

To be fair, Google said Android N will be released in Summer 2016 - which means anywhere between June and September. Given the fact that the last Google flagship devices, namely Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P, were released in September 2015, I think its too early to envisage that Android N release may not coincide with a major phone release.

7. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

N is just implementing stuff that has been around in Android forever from manufacturer UIs and Cynogen. Nothing new except for the improved Doze feature.

8. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

I think apple are going to do their own thing still.

I do like that N will force apple to not get lazy. Competition is good!