Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
People always say Iphone has GSM. What is that?

They also say it does not have CDMA. What is that? Is it better?

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA
type of network it runs on... google is an awesome tool.

GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
GSM (Global System for Mobile communications)

Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Code division multiple access (CDMA)

wfiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
ohh ok.

So when I go overseas I can just put another SIM card from a local wireless company and buy minutes and my iphone will work?

I don't get it i thought the iphone was locked

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
ohh ok.

So when I go overseas I can just put another SIM card from a local wireless company and buy minutes and my iphone will work?

I don't get it i thought the iphone was locked

You can't just put another SIM in it, but you can roam on those networks with your AT&T SIM card.

Call AT&T and ask about international roaming plans. It will be much cheaper with a plan.

wfiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
You can't just put another SIM in it, but you can roam on those networks with your AT&T SIM card.

Call AT&T and ask about international roaming plans. It will be much cheaper with a plan.

Ok thanks guys.

So just one more thing to make sure I got it:

ATT uses GSM network to connect to other networks overseas with the same SIM that's in my Iphone right now...

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA
yea honestly just use your iphone as a touch overseas and buy a cheap prepaid phone while you're over there, will be much cheaper. assuming u dont want your same number.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, your current sim inside the iphone would work in most places wolrdwide.
It would just roam on other networks at other countrys.
That might get expensive if you talk alot or acess the internet while away from AT&T.
Make sure you find out how much and where cause it can be up there.

wfiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Ok cool.

Dang, now I get why the unlocked BB Bold costs about a million dollars it's DEF a nice luxury to have.

Is there an unlocked Iphone 3G where I can change out sims anywhere in the world?

just get the sim from a local wireless provider and some minutes and "boom goes the dynamite." lol

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
For around $700 I believe you can find a factory unlocked iphone that would work with any sim without any hacking.

Ok cool.

Dang, now I get why the unlocked BB Bold costs about a million dollars it's DEF a nice luxury to have.

Is there an unlocked Iphone 3G where I can change out sims anywhere in the world?

just get the sim from a local wireless provider and some minutes and "boom goes the dynamite." lol

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Factory-unlocked iPhones (officially unlocked either right out of the box or via a carrier settings update once you've paid the fee to your chosen carrier.

Here in Australia we have four networks selling the iPhone so to have it unlocked you pay your carrier a certain fee, they upload the IMEI number to a central database and when you plug the iPhone into your computer a Carrier Settings Update is downloaded and you're presented with the famous "Congratulations, Your iPhone is now unlocked" screen.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
As for the question of GSM vs CDMA quality, it depends on the carrier's network and volume on the network. For example, Sprint is CDMA and AT&T is GSM. I switch from Sprint last year and my opinion is that Sprint offers a better network (voice quality and speed) than AT&T. Some may disagree with this or throw out red herrings like Sprint's customer service sucks (so everything about Sprint must suck).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.