What does "hardware repair - level 1" mean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acprkit, Dec 17, 2008.

1. acprkit macrumors member

Hi

I just took my macbook pro (2.2, late 2007) in for repair for a freezing issue. The hard drive was replaced, but the service order also says "hardware repair - level 1"

Is this the logic board?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most likely refers to what level of hardware engineer will handle the case.

3. Nanookfan macrumors member

It could also be that replacing the hard drive is considered a level 1 type of repair, versus a "harder" or more complicated repair.

4. six.four macrumors 6502

level 1 repair is a very basic repair.

wait until you get your MBP back and look at the receipt - which will give you a more detailed overview of what was done.

5. iRepairNow macrumors newbie

Level 1, 2 and 3 repair defined...

It has been quite some time since you posted this question but I just stumbled upon it and thought I'd reply in case others read it. In my opinion your hard drive replacement may have actually been a level 2 repair. I don't know where the hard drive was situated in that particular Mac computer.

General definitions:

Level 1: Anything you can detach from the electronic device (laptop, phone, tablet, etc.) without taking it apart

Level 2: Swaping out internal parts without soldering the smart device/tablet/computer.

Level 3: Anything soldered to the mother board (circuit board or logic board are also terms used) that must be removed via heat exchange or soldering technique.

I hope this helps -- not sure if the original poster will ever see this!

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not true for Apple. Apple never deals with the chip level for repair, only components (so they'll replace a logic board, not just the processor that's soldered onto the logic board).

Level 1 would be any whole internal component that is simply replaced, below a certain cost level. Usually only includes Hard Drive, RAM, Optical Drive, and Battery.

jW