What does HE use?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by raymondu999, May 18, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

What do you think, actually, Jobs uses? Would he upgrade several times a year, upgrading always to the latest and greatest, or would he actually not appreciate the hassle, and take things so that he doesn't have to upgrade?

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Steve doesn't use computers. He just stares at fruit and yells at everyone.

4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

He doesn't have a computer. He plugs in his keyboard and mouse to his ears and it's all there.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whatever it is, he probably has someone else to use it for him.

6. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

very funny now guys. In all seriousness though. Sure, maybe he uses next gen hardware, but which next gen? For example, would he use a next gen MacBook pro, or a next-gen MacBook air? Does he use an iMac, or a mac pro? Which iPod does he use? That kind of thing

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I hear Steve is a bit of a technophobe. I'm sure he'd prefer a pen and some paper.

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I've heard he used a 17" PowerBook to construct his keynotes so i'd imagine he upgraded to a 17" MacBook Pro.

He's also mentioned in passing that his family watches movies on an iMac

9. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I shouldve known! The world's no.1 innovative company, a company manufacturing MP3 players, revolutionary phones, and the initial revolutionary computer MUST have a technophobic CEO!

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seriously he probably uses an iMac and some kind of laptop, he won't use un-released hardware as it won't be reliable ;).

11. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

But if hehad a desktop Mac, why does he do the keynote on a laptop? And why not a Mac Pro?

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Why would he need a Mac Pro for a presentation?:confused:

13. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hear Steve still uses a Moto StarTac from 1997, but I also hear that Abstract could have made that up himself.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think he always uses the latest and greatest, rather he uses what works for him best. There was a rumour (probably true though) that for a long time after rejoining Apple/taking over from the inside he did not use a Mac at all, rather a NeXT desktop (probably as he didn't want to use OS9 or the flaky OSX available at the time).

But sometimes he definitely has the newest stuff, especially Keynote which was he was using to give keynotes for ages before it was available to the public. He was kind of beta testing it in public!

16. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not talking about using it for a presentation, sorry. I meant for general use. Why doesn't he use a Mac Pro? Or an iMac? The rumor is that he uses a 17" laptop, either PowerBook or MacBook Pro. Btw, actually, when he came back, it was 1997. OS X wasn't around yet then. And OS X is BASED on NeXTSTEP, the NeXT computer's OS.

17. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I bet he uses everything. :D Some days he's in a Macbook Pro kinda mood, others the Macbook Air. . even occasionally a Macbook! :apple:

18. Coprolite macrumors member

I don't see why anyone should expect a CEO of almost any large company to use anything powerful. In general, convenience is king. I would not be surprised if he uses an MBA, but for many screen size is equated to convenience. As there are rumors that he has used 17" laptops in the past, why would he break the mold? I seriously doubt that he needs any sort of computing power. Reading email and reviewing photo updates of ongoing projects doesn't use any power. Heck, many execs have people make their presentations for them. Have a quick meeting with the author and then expect a draft each day until it is up to spec....

Execs' time is finite. Computing power won't solve that. Simplicity and tons of helpers will get the job done faster any day. I also seriously doubt that he has more than one computer for daily use. The idea of dabbling with all the tech is nice, but doing actual work on it is unrealistic.

19. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

yeah...he defiantly used the 17" PowerBook for sure (read from the book "iCon"). So I would think that he's probably using a 17" MBP too.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Am I the only one that thought this thread was about God's computer?? :confused:

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I heard he uses a 17" PB/MBP as well, but I agree that he may very well use an MBA. After all, he has a word in every Apple product design, and he doesn't feel that an ultra-portable with a small cramped keyboard is useful, so he never made one. He'd rather have a "small" computer that still has a decent sized screen, resolution, and keyboard, and so the MBA design is the way it is. You'd think that by designing it around Steve's considerations, he was designing a laptop for himself.

Yeah, I believe he used an IBM Thinkpad for a while, even as Apple's CEO. They strongly suggested that he switch because it looks bad for the company if he doesn't use his own product, so he did.

22. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Given it's Steve, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't use his own product. I don't know why, but I just wouldn't be. However, for some reason I always envisioned him using a 17" PB/MBP (standard config, not specced up) and an iMac. I don't know why, but I just do.

23. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

wait for it.....

wait for it...........

...A Dell

24. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

He uses a 17" MBP for his Keynote Address and a Dell desktop running Windows Vista hahahaha... ok the first one is true but imagine he doesn't update his setup that often, he probably heads over to Cupertino to test out the new products and give his opinion, but I see him using a MBP and iMac....

Hell, he probably has a mac in every room of the house, MBA in the bathroom, dual Mac Pros with 4 30" ACDs in the office, MBPs in the bedrooms, iMac in the kitchen, and so on hahahahaha

25. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Whatever he wants.

His IT department must be jumping.

Executive IT departments are always scary places to work. The normal IT dept. has budgets, timelines, projects.

The Exec IT departments are given little notice that somebody's getting on a flight to go halfway around the world to make sure everything works.

I almost got sent to San Diego with 2 hours notice one time because the board of directors at my old company forgot to tell their IT dept. And their IT dept. said no, 4 hours notice isn't enough for a 3 day trip.

So, to answer the question, it's probably whatever he wants, whereever he wants to be, and the IT dept probably has 2 or 3 of each system imaged and ready to go so that he doesn't miss a minute.