What does holding power button do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronmaverick88, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ronmaverick88 macrumors member

What happens when i hold the power button down upon a restart? i tried it and the white light on the bottom started flashing (Alum MBP) so what does it do? I remember when i was in school years ago holding it down and like 2 other keys would defrag it.. is that whats happeneing? just wondering:confused:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

The OP said that the LED flashes, which is not documented in the article. Also holding down the power button while the battery is in should not reset the SMC as it is not documented in the article as well.

I have no idea what it does, but I would like to know as well if anyone has any better ideas. Maybe it does do a SMC reset, but Apple hasn't documented it correctly?

For the late 2008 MacBook (Pros), you may also use the MacBook Air method:
    Still no information on just holding the power button down when you turn it on.

4. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

I love how people think Google knows the answer to everything. I already checked google. Thanks ryannazaretian and also mkrishnan i said Macbook Pro, not Macbook. :rolleyes:

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, because they'll do different things. :confused::rolleyes:

Seriously. Search, please. The first result in that Google link was EXACTLY what you needed.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My apologies for the removal of battery issue, but the MB vs MBP is a non-issue -- they're the same. I'm pretty sure it's still resetting the SMC, but meh, I'm open to being wrong.

7. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

8. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Where'd you hear that from? If you're not properly grounded, then static build up can and does discharge through the computer if you touch it while it is plugged in. Reseting the SMC has nothing to do with static

9. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2213

It's for firmware restoration.

If the boot firmware (EFI) gets corrupted somehow, you can hold the power button to throw the system into a sort of recovery mode. It will attempt to read an image off a firmware restoration CD and flash that back into the logic board Flash PROM.

-SC