What does iPhone mean to apple PC biz?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrokenE, Jun 18, 2008.

1. BrokenE macrumors regular

I think the i-phone 3g will eventually mean big sales for apple PCs. The combination of: 1) the popularity and cool factor of the new phone - i get the impression it's as hot as when the first gen first came out, 2) the seemingly endless proliferation of possible apps (it's like Apple's own little dot-com boom with thousands of apps poping up, and they get a direct slice of every app that is not free), and 3) the user friendly, slick polished, stable software and hardware, so from the top...

It's a phone - you've GOT to have a phone, it's a plain necessity
    it's e-mail and contacts- not a necessity for some, but very useful to many.
    it's GPS - again, not a necessity, but very useful especially if you travel
    it's a game console - OK a pure "luxury", but again most people will use it. It almost seems like a mini-Wii :D if you watched the presentation of Super Monkey ball. How many folks are going to buy the i-phone for other reasons and not play Super Monkey or others like it?? NONE that's how many, games like that are addictively fun, and all will enjoy
    it's miles ahead- the i-phone 3g will be my first smart phone but it seems it's miles ahead of any other platform.

I think all of these things add up to an almost "must have" device similar to the i-pods. And like the i-pods, will lead to more and more people making the jump to mac PC's after they have a great experience with their i-phone.

What do you think? This may only be the tip of the ice berg, the start of a revolution - kinda like when microsoft word took over Wordperfect. I could see the chanting in the steets now... Hurray, windows is dead, windows is dead!!!!

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've heard that the iPhone makes people go out and buy Halo 3 or something like that. :)

I know that iTunes and the iPod helped me switch to Mac. That and an "I've had all I can stands and I can't stands no more!" attitude to all the viruses et. al you get with Windows.

3. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

ease of the ipod along with the constant virus and pain in the ass use of windows PC that did it for me. went through a few laptops, windows OS in college and junior year decided what the hell i might as well try Apple. Man i Havent looked back. one of the greatest decision ive made so far. Since then, (13 months, ive used the macbook, macbook pro 15 and 17, imac aluminum and now the macbook air) ive owned the macbook and one of the pros for a while before selling them for the imac and macbook air, so the ipod did it for me and im sure in the future my iphone will continue to help me buy apple products