What does it mean an app has been update for iOS 5 support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dubnde, Jul 28, 2011.

1. dubnde macrumors regular

I do not run iOS 5 and I am no developer. Yet I see some apps being updated with comments indicating iOS 5 support. How are these apps able to run on my iPhone 4 running iOS 4.3.x? Surely these apps can not be using iOS 5 API or features :)

2. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

3. psonice macrumors 6502a

They can of course support iOS 5 features. They just won't enabled them on phones running 4.x, so you won't be able to use them until you update in the autumn.

4. wvphysics macrumors regular

Basically when the app first loads, it detects which iOS version you run, then it loads the appropriate code. Some developers choose to no longer support previous iOS versions to reduce the necessary code, thus reducing the size and bugs, while others choose to leave in the older code.

5. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

They make different code for different OS and different platforms.

The same way that Angry Birds for iPhone is not the exact same app as Angry Birds for the iPad.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

(sighs) The same reason Leopard can run on G4 hardware and how I can trade backups between my iPhone 4, 3G and 2G. Anything not supported won't work, anything that is will.

7. icewing macrumors 6502

Typically with every OS revision, new APIs are included, and some older APIs are depricated (no longer supported). Possibly they just went through their code and removed calls for the older APIs.

8. dubnde thread starter macrumors regular

I think the other answers diverged a bit and I find this one acceptable