what does it mean to eject a partition on an internal drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theman, Nov 17, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

First of all, I want to wipe everything off my desktop, so i unchecked "hard disks" in the finder prefs, but my Boot Camp partition keeps coming up on the desktop.

So I just ejected it. What does that mean to eject it? Anyways, it keeps coming back up after i restart. WTF.

Oh yeah, and also, how do i change name of the volume from "untitled"? doesn't seem to want to change...

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You have to change it from inside Windows.

3. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ahh, cool

but what does it mean when I "eject" the windows partition? just make it disappear temporarily?

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You can change the name of the partition in OS X. You just have to have the right permissions.

Anyway, you're not really ejecting so much as dismounting. It's there just not mounted/usable.

Oh, to get it off your desktop there should be an option to remove all drives in the Finder preferences so I'm somewhat confused as to how that didn't work.

5. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, ok. I think I know what happened. I had "unmounted" my windows partition, and THEN unchecked that box in the finder preferences. So when I started OS X back up after using windows, it just popped up on the desktop. i think?

anyways, I checked and unchecked the box again, and when I restarted it was gone.

6. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

wait no, nevermind. I just restarted and it came back! the only way to get rid of it is to unmount it every time? there must be some better way of doing it...

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I don't have mine on my desktop so I know it is possible.

Have you tried toggling it on and off without dismounting it?

Dismounting it is doing something entirely different than removing it from your desktop.

8. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I figured it out for sure this time. Apparently, Apple thinks that a Windows partition falls under the "CDs, DVDs, and iPods" category. When I uncheck that box it disappears! So weird.

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Weird. Have to send a bug report in to Apple about that one. That's just bad categorization.