What does it mean when you say "Point servers TOWARDS APPLE"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PhazeII, Mar 2, 2012.

1. PhazeII macrumors member

This might be a stupid question but I didn't understand in one of my previous post when someone said "point servers TOWARDS APPLE"

I'm about to update my iphone 4 to iOS5. I have SHSH blobs saved.. Any issues if I decide to go back to 4.2.1?? Im doing the custom IPSW with redsn0w.

Thanks

2. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

From Saurik's webpage:
    Make iTunes think it is talking to Apple, but it is really talking to Cydia server. This server will also act as a cache for any SHSH blobs it hasn't seen, acting as an intermediary to Apple's server. This effectively registers your device with the "on file" mechanism, which means you can now enjoy the protections of being able to downgrade your firmware in the future even if you aren't jailbroken.

open the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X) and add the following entry to the bottom of the file:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

3. PhazeII thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I'll go ahead and do so. Does that basically do the same thing as Ifaith by being able to downgrade?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You are pointing your host file to either Apple or Cydia depending on firmware version you need to authenticate.

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone