What does it take for a replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pattman247, Jan 17, 2008.

1. pattman247 macrumors regular

hey I have a macbook that has a really crappy display from the start. There is backlight bleeding an inch in diameter on every side. But to make matters worse, there is an evident bleeding on the bottom near the centre of the screen and below it, its like a black spot of some sort, since the brightness is lower. It kind of looks like light blobs. What would it take for me to replace this computer for another. Is it possible to negotiate with apple store managers, possibly paying a difference or something?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It might be easier to make a call if you post a photo. :)

3. caffeeneaddict macrumors regular

A pic would def. help....but either way apple might not replace it because it sounds like user damage, something apple doesn't cover in their warranty. but a pic could help remove this as a possibility

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you JUST purchased your MacBook, maybe. But it took me a TON of calling, headaches, and even getting the repair returned to me dented for me to get a replacement. You may have better luck, but that's just my experience.

5. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

here is a quick example of what I'm talking about. Its near the centre at the bottom of the display
    fyi: the macbook is almost 5 months old :p
    the picture might not prove justice to some, but what would u think apple might do with this issue, because to me its very distracting since its on the bottom of all my documents, webpages, etc

Attached Files:

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You'll probably have to send it in for repair and then you wait 5-7 and then get it back. If you didn't purchase the AppleCare Protection plan, then you'll have run out of phone support, but you can schedule a Genius Bar appointment and have it sent in for repair from the Apple Store. But I couldn't even tell what the problem was from the picture, so they won't outright give you a replacement for it.

7. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

They'll most likely replace the display with another one. They're very good about these things, although I've found the geniuses to be slightly snobbish (and think they're better than you/always right), so you will have to prove it by setting a white background or something. Once you do that, they should take it in for repair.

At my local apple store, the part was in the next day, so they do pretty quick work.

8. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

So generally how long would it take to send the macbook in for repair and to get it back, two to three weeks? Do I put it in the box similar to how the 360 repairs work, or give it in the store.
    So no one ever had an evidential problem with one of their apple products and get an instant in-store replacement?

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You can either call Apple Care and they will send you a box to ship it in, or you can just go to the Genius Bar and they will ship it out from there. I would say it will take about 2 weeks at the longest.

10. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

i heard horror stories about the apple products being returned in bad condition (ie. scratches, dents etc) after being returned from apple care.
    has anyone ever had this problem before?

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

That's not the norm. Sometime accidents do happen though...

My machine has been in for repair four times. Never had it returned with scratches or dents. In fact, one time the technician was nice enough to clean my screen.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, apple returned my MacBook pro with numerous scratches, dents, and even a bad battery.