what does jailbreak 2.1 do to official apps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by brightshadow360, Sep 15, 2008.

1. brightshadow360 macrumors member

i have a 2.1 ipod touch. I just put free apps from the store on it. once I jailbreak it, will it affect those apps? (I'm going to use the one for mac, which I hear can jailbreak after the firmware is instaled). if it will delete them, will I beable to put them back on afterwards? and will the app store still work?

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    The apps should be backed up in your itunes. And if you jailbreak with quickpwn for example, nothing is even erased from your iPod. And once you have the new firmware pwned if nothing is there the apps should sync back to your iPod like normal.

4. brightshadow360 thread starter macrumors member

5. eddydorantes141 macrumors newbie

Does jailbreaking still allow you to get more apps from the app store?

6. Cache macrumors regular

If I'd jailbreak my ipod with 2.1, get all the appstore apps i want for free from certain sites :)P ) and put them on my ipod in order for them to sync with itunes, would I still be able to put them on my ipod for free once I restore it to a nonjailbroken 2.1 (since they're backed up in itunes)?

Apart from free apps, jailbreaking doesnt seem appealing to me anymore. :p

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I've tried grabbing those pirated apps and installing them on a nonjailbroken Touch, doesn't work. It doesn't matter if they are backed up in iTunes, iTunes and the Touch check to see if you've purchased the apps legitimately and if they find you haven't, they won't sync the apps to the Touch.

8. Cache macrumors regular

I see, too bad. But what if I deny internet access, or is it needed when syncing apps?

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Internet has nothing to do with it. Apps are synced by iTunes from your computer to your Touch through the USB cable.

10. Cache macrumors regular

Ok, I just thought iTunes would check with Apple to see if you purchased the apps, hence my suggestion to kill internet access, but you're saying it's actually in iTunes.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    In order to install the apps through iTunes you need to ssh in a new copy of the mobileinstaller this enables itunes to install the apps and won't realize that your account isn't the "authorized" account. And yes you can install authorized apps from the app store in addition to 3rd party apps.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, to be exact, there's a digital signature file inside the apps themselves, and iTunes checks that file before transfering the app to a Touch. If the signature file is not validated for the iTunes Store account the iTunes is signed in to, iTunes doesn't transfer the app. Jailbroken Touches circumvent this process -- I'm not very clear on the details, but it's a two-step process. The apps themselves need to be "cracked" with a modified digital sig file, and the Touch needs to be jailbroken in order to accept the cracked apps.

13. Cache macrumors regular

Thanks, it's clear now. Shame though, since I'd much rather have a non-jailbroken ipod nowadays.