What does Lion download during clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Eradik, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Eradik macrumors regular

Bought Lion today, extracted the dmg file, burned, etc etc. During installation, it said that it was "downloading additional components". This took 15-20 min on my fairly fast business class Internet. Any ideas what this was?

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

This happened when I used the burned-to-disc version of the installer on my MBA but I didn't notice it when I preformed the install on my MBP via the downloaded app from the App Store...:confused:

3. Eradik thread starter macrumors regular

That's weird. I wonder if by burning that DMG theres files that might have been stored elsewhere in the MAS download that it had to download.... no idea why it would take that long, however.

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

I did the same thing but it didnt download anything with wifi on... And at the end it said it couldnt download components so no install !!! I already erased my HD!!! what can I do so that it downloads the components???

5. KGWVU macrumors regular

KGWVU

I installed from the app store and I got the message that it was downloading components.

6. enberg macrumors regular

If you look at the install log you'll see that It's actually fetching packages from your local install media. Whoever claimed it redownloaded from the app store was talking nonsense.

7. acurafan macrumors 6502a

^^ what he said. i've got little snitch running on imac, it didn't show any internet access across the wifi during install.

8. Eradik thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh, I did notice it was much quieter (i.e. didn't spin the disc as much) when it was "actually" installing, so that makes sense that it was basically queueing the data.

Good to know, thank you!

9. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

It depends. If you run the install from a copy of the downloaded file from the MAS that you put on a DVD or on a USB, then it only fetches the files from the local media, but claims it is downloading components. If you try and install from the Recovery HD that the prior Lion install goes through, then it will actually need an internet connection and it will download the entire file all over again, after verifying your Apple ID of course.

10. tabish macrumors newbie

Lion Installation - Downloading Additional Components

Let me make this very simple... When you start a clean install of lion from DVD or USB, it will first move files to target disk (install drive) required for re-installing (recovery) / installation. Then it reboots to recovery mode, and then it install lion from there using only the copied stuff on target disk, and this time it isn't using installation media. So, downloading can be treated as copying/making recovery files. There is no separate recovery partition.