What does Lion Recovery Disc do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by geekygeek, Aug 12, 2011.

1. geekygeek macrumors regular

I downloaded a file from Apple called Lion Recovery Disc and I saved it to my 8 gig flash drive. What does it do? Does it reset your Air to factory settings? Apple has some requirements to download the disc though. Does my mid 2011 air meet these requirements?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. geekygeek thread starter macrumors regular

4. jsolares macrumors 6502a

No, nothing that's available to the end user can restore it to factory, the restore partition and everything else will give you a clean install of Lion, but that is sans iLife which was installed from factory.

The Recovery Disk Assistant will make a bootable USB that's i think identical to your restore partition, and on the new machines you can get that back with CMD+R

Both will still need to download around 4GB from apple to reinstall Lion, i wonder if the 69$ usb stick they started selling works with the new machines.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the link I posted:
    From the same link:

6. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Yes i know, but the USB doesn't reset it to factory settings, it gives you a clean install of Lion, you have to download iLife after already you already downloaded the 4GB of Lion which is something to take into account.