What does Mac OS X iPod mean?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Stang68, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey guys and gals,

I am super excited for the new ipod release on the 5th. I cant wait!! But there is all this talk about them using OS X. What does that mean? Is it going to have just a finder and iPhoto :p or will it be flat out internet, typing...etc (a phoneless iPhone)? Is that what everyone means when they say "it'll be using OS X"? Also, what are the chances of bluetooth in this iPod?

Thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

iPhone is based on OSX (as is AppleTV)...the hope is that the iPod will do too :)

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

It means that the OS the iPod will run is OS X, not the typical "iPod OS".

4. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I am not the computer savvy, so that means it will look different or it will just run better? What kind of features can we expect?

5. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

The UI will indeed look different, or at least the rumors point to it. And as far as features go that is pretty much a secret, but Coverflow can be expected, as well as many of the features the iPhone as an iPod gives you.

6. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

If we look at the iPhone/OS X Lite model, an iPod running OS X could possibly mean the inclusion of supposed "desktop class" applications. What this means iPod-wise will probably be CoverFlow, maybe better iPod games or Safari depending on the 6G's hardware capabilities.

What's for certain is the current iPod OS is beginning to look fairly long in the tooth and a refresh is definitely on the cards. Whatever Apple have prepared for the fifth will more than likely knock spots off the iPod OS we all know now - to what extent we don't yet know.

Roll on September 5th!

7. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

thanks for all the help! September fifth, here we come!

8. reubs macrumors 68000

I wonder what this means for older iPods that are running the iPod OS. We think (know) that Leopard will run on previous model Macs, so I wonder if there is any way that the new iPod OS will be available to be loaded onto other iPods (I'm thinking specifically 5G b/c, honestly, that's the one I have). The OS is simple enough as is, but if there is an option I'd be thrilled to give it a try.

Thoughts?

9. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

It's not gonna happen I'm afraid. Apple have developed a new iPod OS so they can shift more iPods, and because it's expected.

The thing with iPods is they're technically classed as consumer disposable goods, whereas computers are more designed for the long run, hence Apple's reluctance to drop OS support on its older machines. An iPod is built and designed to perform a set of specific tasks, computers though, have to be capable of running a massive range of third party applications with varying system requirements. Same with peripheral hardware, so much so that a computer has to be, to some extent, futureproof while an iPod can get away with pretty cut back technology.

Older iPods have never received upgraded OSes apart from minor software updates bringing support for things like Nike+iPod and the radio headset. Just don't get your hopes up of a 5.5G running a 6G OS, especially if it's OS X Lite.

10. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Especially if the new OS is dependent on hardware features, such as the supposed touchscreen and more "horsepower".

11. reubs macrumors 68000

Unfortunately, all of that makes sense...I'm just kind of cheap and don't want to replace a year old ipod (and I probably won't), but it would still be nice. I figure there's a lot in the guts of the iPod that would be very different thus not allowing an older one to run the new OS. Oh, well, everyone else has pipe-dreams around here about the new iPods...I figured I'd throw mine in there, too!

Thanks for your input.