What does MBP update mean for January?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmtrekker, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. cmtrekker macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2007
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #1
    To keep up the rumor and speculation activity alive and kicking after the MB/P updates and for my own consumer benefit, since I was planning to FINALLY switch from Windows to MAC with a laptop sometime between November and January, what does the MacBook Pro update mean for any potential January announcements for a more significantly updated (perhaps redesigned) MacBook Pro. If you think January is likely to feature a new MBP, what do my fellow rumor sages predict beyond the bump up to Penryn? Also, is a price decrease in the cards at all?

    Yours truly,
    An imminent member of the Apple clan (if you exclude my iPods)
     
  2. aethelbert macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    #2
    They will likely be updated in May and/or June. Redesign likely in 2009.
     
  3. nines macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2007
    #3
    I predict a 160GB HDD in the stock entry model and a 200GB HDD in the stock 'advanced' 15.4'' and 17'' model.
     
  4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

    nikhsub1

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
    #4
    There are several ways to look at this, or predict. One, Apple likes to be first with new chipsets and CPU's. In this case, we could likely see a Penryn/Bearlake MBP sometime in January. This combo is supposed to use DDR3, which apparently is good for mobile as it's heat/power consumption is very good. This is likely what will happen but IMO will not be a huge improvement over what is available now. The worthwhile move IMO will be the quad core penryn if they can get the power consumption down and the heat output down. We are at a stage now where every 'speed' boost is very minor in the scheme of things as the new intel chips and chipsets are very good.

    The big question is when does Apple feel it is right to redesign the MBP? Do they knock em dead with the whole enchilada? Or, do they again do a minor hardware upgrade and make the 'redesign' the big focus?
     
  5. rnava macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #6
    ?????

    So does anyone foresee an update for the MBP 17"?? i know everyones hoping for the addition of a 12/13" or whatever. But would that really be the only update/upgrade?

    i guess im asking, im ready to buy the MBP 17" today, but i can wait, i dont want to but i will if something worthwile comes up. if all thats gonna happen is a smaller version, then id rather purchase now.

    im primarily concerned with updates either specifically with the MBP 17 or MBPs across the board.

    can anyone provide insights? suggestions??
     
  6. benlee macrumors 65816

    benlee

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    #7
    If you want one now get it now. You are going to get good use out of it and enjoy it while you have it. An update will not take that away. And if you wait until january and there is no update, then what? Wait until June?

    There will always be an update on the horizon. So get it when you want/need it.
     

Share This Page