What does my friend tell me to expect bugs when the MacBook drops?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shorem, Mar 11, 2015.

1. shorem macrumors newbie

I've waited over a year for this announcement, and have been checking almost every single day, collecting all the rumors and going crazy, like a lot of people here, until the announcement was finally made on Mon. I was ecstatic. I'm using a 2008 MBP that has been on its last legs for a long time. I've saved my money for this moment exactly, and now I can feel good about pulling the trigger . . .

Except that my friend, who got me into Mac products, knows of my wait, and who also needs a laptop replacement himself, has told me to hold off because the 1st gen laptops, he says, always have bugs and glitches and issues.

Is this true? He said it like it's a given; like there is no question they'll have issues. If it's true, what are examples of issues to expect, from past units? Are they bad enough that they're worth holding off for next generation units for? I don't know if I can afford to.

As well, why doesn't Apple test their products to avoid such an issue? If it has gotten to the point where it's expected to have problems with their products when they ship, shouldn't that be something to work on to try to stop?

2. FuNGi, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Just some thoughts, others will add more:

1) the first new gen. 2010 MBA had no keyboard backlight and everybody freaked out, gen 2 got it back

2) 2012 rMBP stutters somewhat and possibly plagued with image retention/yellowing (both according to some vocal members), and had a dimmer screen, the 2013 versions were better and brighter

3) new retina iMac also claims to be experiencing stutter...

3. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

Edit: I'd definitively await a 2nd generation of a machine that is so different than anything Apple has released so far.

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

First gen MBA also had issues with the hinge, IIRC. First gen unibody Macbook had no firewire or HDMI port, which were introduced in later models.

Overall, I'd say your friend has a point. If it were my money, I'd wait a year; Apple typically irons out the wrinkles by gen 2.

5. brand, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

brand macrumors 601

brand

There has never been a Retina MacBook Air.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

If you want it and have been waiting quite a long time for it like many of us have, then buy it. Some people just don't like buying first-gen products.

7. shorem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply, guys.

PDFiero -- thanks for your comment. I honestly can't afford to wait much longer. This 2008 MBP doesn't have much time left, and I waited so damn long.

What's the worst-case scenario that you can see happening?

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Honestly, nothing really. Apple will always just add more things to the second-gen and future revisions. But I'm pretty satisfied with what this model is like. Other than a 720p FaceTime camera, I can't ask for much more at this time.

I'm going to sell my 13" rMBP and get the new MacBook. I don't need a new laptop as badly as you do, but I travel daily and really value the portability of my laptop. So I'm not going to wait another year.

9. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

How about more SSD storage and a reasonable introductory price?

Honestly, I don't understand the portability argument when you're comparing computers that are both less than 3.5lbs and no thicker than 1 inch.

Does 1.45lbs and 5mm really make that much of a difference? Is it going to make you move any faster? :rolleyes:

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I might be reacting differently to the price if I wasn't selling my Pro and still coming out ahead. I'm after the 512GB SSD anyways.

As for portability, yes that weight makes a difference for me. I had an Air, then switched to the Pro soley for the Retina screen. For the way I work and the places I take my laptop, the new MacBook offers so many advantages.

11. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'd say issues are very likely:

1. New screen size
    2. New mobile processor class, first without a fan on the mac.
    3. New metal hinge design
    4. New keyboard switches
    5. New trackpad design
    6. New battery design
    7. New charging port

So yeah...lots that could go wrong. Most stuff will probably work fine but I'd expect some issues to crop up.

12. Razeus macrumors 601

Like automobiles, never buy the first generation of a remodel.

I want the 15" rMBP to replace my 2012 iMac, but I'm waiting for the updates. If they decide to redesign it, then I'll wait until 2016.

13. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

This is kind of depressing...I've been waiting for so long for this retina MacBook and I never knew there were issues with first gen...and like OP I really need a Mac...maybe I should go with 13 rMBP?

But OP is right, why doesn't apple (and all companies)simply test out their new1st gen product...:(

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Please don't let stuff like this deter you. This is not the viewpoint of everyone, it's just that some people prefer to buy a more refined product. There's a 0% chance I would not buy the new MacBook, because it's something I've been waiting for.

You either need/want it now or you don't. FYI, I have the rMBP, so I could wait for a future version but I'm not.

15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Geez, if you want worst-case then the sky's the limit. Some of the 2013 MacBook Airs had pesky wifi problems that were hard to diagnose, probably caused by defective chips. One version of the SSD on 2012 MBA (IIRC) failed in large numbers, people lost all their data.

You might need to take your computer in for repairs and have it sit in the shop for extended periods (if a part fails in large numbers and Apple doesn't have enough spares). Some problems might never be completely fixed to your satisfaction.

But we're talking worst case. OTOH, you might be lucky. :)

16. tillsbury macrumors 65816

No, it's not true. On here, people complain whatever happens, about every release of a product. Sure, the following generations of products will be better and have higher specs. But that applies to everything. The rMBP was an amazing computer when it came out. If you bought the bottom end model and expected it to be quick, you would be disappointed. Same applies here, no doubt. They're all tested, they will work. If you get a broken one, you send it back for replacement, same as with anything.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If you can wait 6 months until the first adopters have had the chance to put it through its paces.

There will always be bugs, it's impossible to test everything under every possible conditions, it's just depends whether the bugs are annoying enough or live-able.

18. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

If you have an old 08. Sell it on ebay and get an 11 o2 12. Hang on to it for a year. THEN upgrade one cycle behind. You will save money and the specs are not that different if you lag only a year or 2.

19. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

Guess your right..and the rMBP looks ugly since I saw the new MacBook Monday

20. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus