What does "New button to reset the Advertising Identifier" do?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by hakr100, Jan 29, 2013.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Haven't tripped across an explanation for this:

New button to reset the Advertising Identifier

??

2. Adutrumque macrumors 65816

Adutrumque

I brought this up before in the iOS 6.1 thread and one user "Batting" told me this:

I don't know if that's the answer.

3. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Looks to be a way to reset your device's "ID" that advertisers to identify it:

Source: Apple, via iDownloadBlog

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But what is the purpose of needing to reset it? Does this give us more privacy control?

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

That's essentially the answer.

Apple had previously used a Unique Device Identifier (UDID) for a number of things, including targeted advertising. I don't know the whole of it but my guess is that this UDID was being used for too many things to the point where it might've been possible for an ad service to find out more about you - or, rather, your device - than they were supposed to.

With iOS 6.1, Apple has stopped using the UDID for ad tracking and replaced it with non-personal ID that each user can reset, thereby essentially erasing their prior "footprint" across the web.

----------

I don't know that there would ever be a need but it seems to me that yes, it does give us a bit more privacy control. As I mentioned above, resetting this ID should, at least in my mind, make your device appear to advertisers as a new device.

But I'm not totally clear on it myself, this is just how I'm understanding it at the moment.

6. DMH3006 macrumors regular

While it doesn't appear as a new device per-se it basically erases the data they had on your device.

For example:instead of them alraedy knowing what kind of movies/books you like on any app based on your usage and can then tell you the movies/books that they "think" you might like,they start from scratch.