What does "no good banks" mean?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thiagos, Oct 27, 2009.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

1 beep = no RAM installed
    2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
    3 beeps = no good banks
    4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
    5 beeps = processor is not usable

What does it mean?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Is it a bad thing to have no good banks? Does it mean the memory could be faulty or the bank itself?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It means you likely didn't seat the RAM correctly.

Apple usually is finger hurting pressure and hard enough that most people thing they are about to break something.

Too bad they don't send out those dimm holders used to snap them in place anymore. Forget I said anything about that, that is years/decades ago.

5. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

Thank you guys for the help...

6. Apple-Guy macrumors member

Thank you for this info, i had the 3beeps so i swapped my memory slots around and then it worked :)

Greetz Apple-Guy

7. matti13 macrumors newbie

what did you do because i think we have the same problem :(
    en je bent van belgie? :) van waar ergens?
    kunt ge mij aub helpen want weet echt nietmeer wat doen...pc reageert op niet :(

alvast merci!

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

via google translate...

I think all he did was swap memory from one bank to another to get them seated properly.

9. Apple-Guy macrumors member

English;

it's been a while since i had the issue, but al i did was open up the memory slot compartment, take out BOTH ram sticks (was doing maintenance of the fans), i then reinserted them and upon boot i had the beep issue, so al panic'd i came here and tried booting on 1 memory stick first, that worked, so i then added the second one and it gave me the beeps again, afterwards i swapped the around and then it worked fine.

Nederlands;

het is al een tijdje geleden dat ik da probleem had, maar ik heb toen gewoon de plek waar de memory sticks zitten opengevezen en eruit gehaald (was mijn computer fan aan het onderhouden), heb daarvoor BEIDE memory sticks eruit gehaald , na het onderhouden van de fan heb ik ze er gewoon terug ingestoken en alles dichtgevezen, echter kreeg ik dit biep geluid, in alle paniek ben ik dan op het web beginnen zoeken en kwam hier terecht, heb dan getracht te starten met ENKEL 1 memory stick, en dat werkte, daarna heb ik de 2de erbij gevoegd en kreeg ik terug de biep geluidjes. als oplossing heb ik dan gewoon de 2 memorysticks omgewisseld van plaats en hij deed het weer ;)

Greetz Apple-Guy