What does OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) on Plus gives you over iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Struggling with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+, I really want a portable phone that takes really good picture and friendly for working out. iPhone 6 is almost there, but has no OIS. Based on the videos, it seems like you can film videos "smoother" with less shakyness, but what other factors make the OIS worth it to jump to the plus?

2. anthonybkny macrumors 6502

anthonybkny

The plus is a giant phone. Unless you're gonna keep in in a purse, stick with the normal one. Even that one is slightly big.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Smooth videos is on the 4.7 6 as well, that is electronic, not using OIS.

OIS *can* allow for slower shutter in low light, to give sesnor more time to grab light, without hand movements creating blurriness.

That said... It can account for your hand, but not for moving subjects... Like breathing people, moving subjects, they would be blurry still, moreso due to the slower shutter selected by iPhone.

So a lot remains to be seen how Apple implements it.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The 6 is a puny phone. Get the big one. You'll avoid Android envy. Go big or go home.

Attached Files:

5. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

Better low light performance generally, and less shaky effects.

That said, unless you wear a fitness belt (like a FlipBelt, which I recommend), the 6 Plus may well be too large during exercising.

6. itsMacTonight macrumors 6502

itsMacTonight

Many high end lenses for DSLRs have this technology. Some have it in the body of the camera and some in the lens. It helps a whole lot on my DSLR for both low light and action shots. My macro shots also benefit when a tripod is not available. How it helps on the iPhone, we will have to wait and see. I'm hoping for the best...It was a big reason why I choose the big phone.

7. newone757 macrumors 6502

And how do you know the plus won't use its OIS for video too? As far as I can tell, nobody knows yet. I'm hoping it uses the OIS--since its usually way more effective than electronic stabilization.

"Cinematic Video Stabilization
    The iPhone 6 series's new Cinematic Video Stabilization is essentially automatic still image stabilization applied to video capture. It's not yet clear whether the iPhone 6 Plus's optical image stabilization system will be used to augment the software stabilization algorithms, and likely will not be until tests are performed following the handsets' release."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ne-6-plus-are-a-boon-for-mobile-photographers

8. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

if you're worried about the size of the phone, I would choose the iPhone 6 and don't worry about the optical image stabilization because you can always rest it on a sturdy surface and take a photo. And get the exact same results. right now I have a samsung galaxy s5 and I am thinking about getting the iPhone 6. The screen size is not that much different and this phone feels comfortable in my hands.unless you're taking a lot of photographs at night or shooting a lot of video while walking or riding in a bumpy vehicle or on a bicycle, the standard iPhone 6 should be fine for your needs because both of them will take great photographs in broad daylight.

9. cynics macrumors G4

Generally when used in camera like this OIS is used for stills. When you are holding the camera steady about to take a picture like everyone does the slight movement of the OIS makes a difference. Even more so with a macro.

When shooting a moving video that slight movement of the OIS doesn't help very much when compared to digital stabilization. There are some OIS on video cameras out there that help although there is a lot more room for movement. A real mechanical stabilization system for a video camera is external of the camera. They can add weights to steady the hand or mounted to the body like a Hollywood camera.

10. newone757 macrumors 6502

Im a photographer. I know how OIS works. And its definitely useful for video as well.

Here, check the 1st tip and the comparison clips in this video
    http://youtu.be/8gHxZh7kjic?t=46s

And here is the difference in your everyday camcorder
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmfQZL2Fy-Q

...now as i was saying. OIS is very useful for video as well. Especially when handholding without a rig or a steadycam or anything like that which obviously most people wouldn't be using with their iPhone.

11. cynics macrumors G4

Your video links further prove my point, I'm actually surprised you used them.

Both those videos touch on what I said.

The first one the guys starts by saying it not only works with pictures but with videos as if not intended then goes on to describe the space odyssey effect that you'll get with a DSLR with OIS turned on for video (floaty). But like I mentioned there is a lot more movement area of the OIS to actually make a difference with video.

The second one is the same as the first its a panasonic camera with OIS that he zoomed way in for a macro video to highlight the effect of shake. Once again the OIS can move much further then the tiny iPhone camera. An iPhone doesn't have optical zoom or that level of digital zoom and can't be edited on the phone to see that minute of a difference.

I have a pretty obvious question. Why would Apple highlight the benefits of OIS for stills but then not even hint at its use for video? They already established its a better camera, there would be no harm in saying it helps with video capture too.

12. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It is shown in the product video.

13. munakib macrumors 6502

maybe because the iPhone6 does not have it and therefore they did not want to make OIS the main story of the launch.

14. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Looking at Instagram Hyperlapse app, there's already technology built in to iOS that gives pretty great stabilisation.

Check that out, and see if it's okay. Because I'm sure Apple will have baked a similar (most probably better) technology in to the camera.

But if it's not good enough, them pay that extra $100 purely for OIS.

15. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

They specifically mentioned its benefits for video recording during the announcement and showed a video to boot.

16. newone757 macrumors 6502

Point is that OIS can make a difference in video too. Microshske in video is extremely annoying. You have a point with the limited space for movement of the elements in a phone but if it can help with the MICROshake then its a welcome addition.

Who know why Apple highlights certain features over others. Likely a combination of time limit, whether or not typical consumers would even understand the feature or not, and trying not to devalue the normal 6. Who knows.

Hyperlapse is pretty amazing but essentially crops some of your video to achieve those effects. If they had ois during video then it could be used in tandem with hyperlapse for even better results.

But OIS during video could be a battery killer too. I guess we'll have to wait and see.