What does PID besides Iphone Processes means

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnsonxray, Jun 12, 2011.

1. johnsonxray macrumors member

I got a system manager and on that processes running page..I got something like:
    881 Springboard
    886 imagent
    484 misd
    456 SCHelper
    34 Notifyd
    32 BTServer
    and the list goes on..
    I know they are all the processes running on the iphone..but what does those numbers means..It has a column, namely, PID..err let me guess, the larger the number means the more frequent u use that particular process? or what else..How do I read them..and look at my springboard 800+..is it going to drain battery cos I always refresh the springboard?

2. cube macrumors G5

Process ID. It is a number which uniquely identifies the process that can be used with Unix commands.

3. johnsonxray thread starter macrumors member

so which means the larger the ID number the more you used that process?

4. cube macrumors G5

No, it is just a generated number that is assigned when the process is created to identify it. It means nothing.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. The ID is simply a unique ID (they get re-used eventually but it is unique amongst running processes) assigned when the process starts. It has nothing to do with frequency. Until the IDs loop a large ID indicates the process started later since the last reboot.

6. johnsonxray thread starter macrumors member

oh..I thought I can track which are the processes that draining the battery by looking at ther larger number =(