What does processor speed do (In real terms)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mep42, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mep42 macrumors member

I will be getting MBP and I am wondering if I need bigger processor speed. I am a photographer and will be running either lightroom or aperture and moving lost of large photos, I have gathered that I am going to need a lot of Ram but what else?

Thanks for the help!

Mark

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Processor isn't as important as GPU is for photography. Any GPU in the MBP lineup will, work. So have fun with your new Mac! :D

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

A faster hard drive will make a bigger difference than an increase in processor speed. Get a SSD, a 500GB drive, or a 7200RPM drive (in order of speed).

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Operations Per Second

In very simple terms, the speed determines how many operations per second the computer is able to perform. That isn't a guarantee, because the type of processor can make a difference in how many operations of a certain type the computer can perform per second. More factors include bus speed and memory speed, but don't worry too much about them.

Aperture uses non-destructive image editing, which means is calculates the changes you make from the original instead of modifying the file. It can make your computer do quite a bit of work. The faster the processor, the less time you will spend waiting.

5. mep42 thread starter macrumors member

I can't tell you how much I am waiting for it, I have an intel white imac and when I open iphoto the thousands of photos basically **** my computer down its terrible.

6. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Faster Drive

I agree here. My laptop's drive is too small, so my files are stored over a network share. The loading delays can get painful. I would caution about the SSD, as if you are moving lots of photos, you may eventually run into the SSD erase delays that seriously affect performance, even if you never fill the drive up. Get the 7200RPM drive.