What does restoring actually do...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevearm, Aug 21, 2008.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

If I did a restore, would it keep all my game settings/scores?

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

It takes it back to factory condition. However, you can choose to restore from your last backup the first time you reconnect to iTunes, which will bring back all your settings

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

So app data like game saves etc will be restored from the backup as well?

In other words, identical to how it was before I pressed restore?

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Yup, just make sure to let it do its "backup" thing before you restore

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks very much. Will backup now.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just to be crystal clear - the restore will restore you iPhone back to the state it was in at the last successful backup. So before you restore, make note of when the last backup was.

Incidentally, some games - such as Aurora Feint - store your progress online, so even if you completely wipe your iPhone and have no backup, you'll still keep your saved game. There may be others like that I don't know.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Also, there are 2 different types of restores:

1. there's the normal Restore that happens when your device is plugged in to your computer and you click restore.

2. you can also do a DFU restore by, when plugged in, turning off the device, holding home and power together for 10 sec., then releasing power while continuing to hold home for 10 seconds.

The difference is that when in DFU mode, the iPhone OS isn't loaded and nothing will interrupt the restore. The screen is off when you get it into DFU, and will flash white when the restore begins. I prefer DFU because it seems to be a more complete restore. If you've been jailbroken, I'd definitely recommend using DFU to restore to be sure any changed setting are returned to stock.

Also, DFU mode has an exploit that Pwnage uses to load unsigned, custom firmwares of the 2.x.x iPhone OS.

8. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

kind of related...but i didnt want to start a new thread - im curious about if you go to settings and do the reset all settings and format phone, it says it takes about an hour to complete, is there any way to cancel this part-way through, or is it once you click ok it can't be stopped?

9. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Keep in mind that sometimes, whatever is causing you problems on your iPhone is actually saved in your backup... which your computer then puts right back on the phone... so you may still have issues.

10. pj rage macrumors 6502

Is there any way to backup a backup? Where are the backup files stored on the computer? (Windows FWIW).