What does Restoring to New Phone keep and what does it remove

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hasanahmad, Oct 1, 2014.

1. hasanahmad Suspended

Does restoring phone to new with your iCloud account keep contacts etc? what is removed? only the Apps and settings or pictures as well?

2. yyzspotter macrumors newbie

Restoring to a new phone keeps nothing until you complete the setup.

Then you are presented with restoring from a backup or re downloading via icloud.

When I restore as a new phone I do just that - I re add my apps and music and data through iTunes and then re log into iCloud.

Seems to work well for me.

3. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

but if I restore to a new phone do I only need to readd my apps and music or also the contacts and pictures etc

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you restore as a new phone, you can log back in to your iCloud account which will add your contacts. However, it will not bring over your photos, apps, messages, etc. You would need to restore from a backup for those.

5. hasanahmad thread starter Suspended

thanks

Is there a proven benefit to restoring to new?

6. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Every mayor release, I do a complete restore through iTunes and set up as new phone and DON'T restore with an iCloud or iTunes backup (they carry all the crap that was on the previous iOS version). Then I turn on iCloud which has my contacts, my bookmarks, my reminders and my notes.

My music is already on iTunes in the Cloud so I just go to iTunes Store > Purchased and download everything again. Same thing for my apps.

In the end, I have a flawless experience #

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

With a crap ton more work! I agree however, this is the best way to do it.

8. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have never done a new restore and I have been restoring from iPhone 3G. Never had a weird issue or occurrence. :D