What does running on "better performance" really do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheShinyMac, Jun 26, 2009.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

When I am using my macbook pro's battery on the drop down menu, I am shown this picture {hopes it shows up} what does the better performance option really do besides draining your battery:confused: Sorry for the quality of the image I couldnt figure out how to take a screenshot of the drop menu thing so I used screenflow then i used Grab to take screenshot of the recording:mad:

Attached Files:

2. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

I assuming you have a MBP 13" or the 15" w/out graphics(or not OS 10.5.7), because that is not any option anymore on a 15" with a 9600, but what better performance/better battery life means is that it will not increase or decrease performance, but generally lower the screen brightness combined with shortening the time before the display/computer goes to sleep, if you choose better performance it will do the opposite, draining the battery faster

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I have the early 2008 macbook pro with the 2.5ghz and I do have 10.5.7:p

4. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Interesting, I have and still use a macbook SE,(original 2006 core duo 2.0) with 5.7 and it shows the same options, but on my new uMBP(3.06 15" 9600) it does not have that drop down, now that i think about it, it is probably because the uMBP's have to log out to change graphics, whereas on your machine, you have a single graphics chip and thus use that interface in 5.7, but the statement earlier still applies, better battery life will minimize power intensive uses of the computer(screen, sleep, cpu/graphics chip) whereas better performance will intensify their usage decreasing battery life

5. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

6. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Interesting, I have and still use a macbook SE,(original 2006 core duo 2.0) with 5.7 and it shows the same options, but on my new uMBP(3.06 15" 9600) it does not have that drop down, now that i think about it, it is probably because the uMBP's have to log out to change graphics, whereas on your machine, you have a single graphics chip and thus use that interface in 5.7, but the statement earlier still applies, better battery life will minimize power intensive uses of the computer(screen, sleep, cpu/graphics chip) whereas better performance will intensify their usage decreasing battery life