What does speed requirement for ATV 4k mean?

coolbreeze2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Where I live the fastest internet speed available tops out at 18Mbps. When I test the speed it's usually 14Mbps-16Mps. Sometimes it even drops below 14Mbps. With 15Mbps being the requirement for Apple TV 4K, does this mean if I buy an Apple TV 4k it won't allow me to stream in 4k because my speed is too slow?

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
As far as I can see, it will dynamically adapt the content to available bandwidth, so you can watch a movie with minimum disruptions at your network conditions.
That applies to iTunes Store streamed content. How do netflix et al behave, I do not know.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Ok does this mean because of my slower speed it will adapt the movies to 1080p?

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Ok does this mean because of my slower speed it will adapt the movies to 1080p?
If you double-check my screenshots, then you will see, that there are also intermediate resolutions available between 1080p and UHD (2160p).
So it may be better than 1080p but still less than full UHD.
In my case I received a 2230x928 frame.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
If you double-check my screenshots, then you will see, that there are also intermediate resolutions available between 1080p and UHD (2160p).
So it may be better than 1080p but still less than full UHD.
In my case I received a 2230x928 frame.
Ok great! I think my speed is falling because my two-year old AT&T uverse router is starting to malfunction. I've noticed a lot of lagging and stuttering while surfing and the speeds used to be better. I called AT&T yesterday and they are overnighting a new and better router (well that's what they said). I should get it today. If the speeds are better I will go and snag me a ATV 4k. If the speeds aren't better, ATV 4k will do me no good and I should continue to use my ATV 3rd generation?

Last edited:

piperatthegates

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Provo, UT
Ok great! I think my speed is falling because my two-year old AT&T uverse router is starting to malfunction. I've noticed a lot of lagging and stuttering while surfing and the speeds used to be better. I called AT&T yesterday and they are overnighting a new and better router (well that's what they said). I should get it today. If the speeds are better I will go and snag me a ATV 4k. If the speeds aren't better, ATV 4k will do me no good and I should continue to use my ATV 3rd generation?
I would get ATV 4K anyway.. You might eventually get the internet speed you were promised, or it might improve sometime in the near future. Plus the interface, hardware, and speed of the ATV 4K compared to your old 3rd gen will make you happy you upgraded even if you aren't getting full 4K quality video.

And like the other poster said, you would more than likely get a better picture quality than 1080p. I highly recommend you take the leap and get ATV 4K.

Last edited:

coolbreeze2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
I would get ATV 4K anyway.. You might eventually get the internet speed you were promised, or it might improve sometime in the near future. Plus the interface, hardware, and speed of the ATV 4K compared to your old 3rd gen will make you happy you upgraded even if you aren't getting full 4K quality video.

And like the poster said, you would more than likely get a better picture quality than 1080p. I highly recommend you take the leap and get ATV 4K.
Wonderful!! Thanks for answering. I will get the ATV 4k.

Reactions: piperatthegates

coolbreeze2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Ok my new ATT router/modem arrived and it slightly improved my speed. I still don't get the max my area is supposed to get (18Mpbs) but I am more consistently getting 15-16Mbps. Apparently this is good enough for 4k streaming because I am getting Dolby Vision on everything I have watched or sample so far.

Yes I already purchased and setup my new ATV 4k!! I am so glad I did! Everything on my LG OLED looks incredibly awesome! I have already noticed that when I watch Netflix, YouTube, Hulu via the ATV 4k it looks way better than when I watch Netflix, YouTube, Hulu via the LG applications. I am in awe at how incredible everything looks. If Amazon was an available application on the ATV I think I would rarely use any LG applications. I also sampled some of my old movies and TV shows I purchased through iTunes as far back as 2 years ago and they too look incredibly awesome!

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: piperatthegates

piperatthegates

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Provo, UT
Ok my new ATT router/modem arrived and it slightly improved my speed. I still don't get the max my area is supposed to get (18Mpbs) but I am more consistently getting 15-16Mbps. Apparently this is good enough for 4k streaming because I am getting Dolby Vision on everything I have watched or sample so far.

Yes I already purchased and setup my new ATV 4k!! I am so glad I did! Everything on my LG OLED looks incredibly awesome! I have already noticed that when I watch Netflix, YouTube, Hulu via the ATV 4k it looks way better than when I watch Netflix, YouTube, Hulu via the LG applications. I am in awe at how incredible everything looks. If Amazon was an available application on the ATV I think I would rarely use any LG applications. I also sampled some of my old movies and TV shows I purchased through iTunes as far back as 2 years ago and they too look incredibly awesome!

Thanks everyone!
Happy that you’re enjoying it and the 4K playback is working for you. I was watching War for the Planet of the Apes the other night and it looked amazing

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Glad it's all working for you, but I'm confused, I thought you needed 25mbps

This is from Apple:

The higher the quality of the video that you're streaming, the faster your Internet connection has to be. (Apple recommends a minimum speed of 25 Mbps for 4K streaming.) Your Apple devices automatically switch the video quality to a lower quality version if your Internet connection isn't fast enough.

When you're playing 4K content, swipe down on your remote, that will confirm if you're actually getting HD or 4K

coolbreeze2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Glad it's all working for you, but I'm confused, I thought you needed 25mbps

This is from Apple:

The higher the quality of the video that you're streaming, the faster your Internet connection has to be. (Apple recommends a minimum speed of 25 Mbps for 4K streaming.) Your Apple devices automatically switch the video quality to a lower quality version if your Internet connection isn't fast enough.

When you're playing 4K content, swipe down on your remote, that will confirm if you're actually getting HD or 4K
Im watching Planet of the Apes. What should happen when I swipe down? I swipe down and see the 4K symbol and it certainly looks 4k. I have never seen a movie look like this. It looks like I'm sitting in the room with the actors.