What does the airplay symbol do?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ZoeLou, Sep 14, 2015.

1. ZoeLou macrumors member

I've just updated to watchOS2 GM, and I've noticed in the setting glance there is now an airplay symbol. What is it's purpose here? I understand how airplay works through the music app, but why is it here in the glance?

2. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

I assumed Bluetooth headphones, but that can be done in the music app.

3. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

I was hoping you'd be able to send music from the watch to airplay (not bluetooth) speakers. However for me it just shows the apple watch as an option which suggest it only works for Bluetooth connections.

No idea why they've called it airplay...

4. lionsy macrumors 6502

No idea, it appeared in one of the betas and is yet to be used, bit weird that it has survived into GM without any use!

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I too found this odd. This is definitely some roughness around the edges and seems like a very amateurish thing for them to have done. Such a useless (in its current form)button on a device where screen real estate efficiency is the most important thing. When I saw it in the early betas i safely assumed that it would either be made to work or removed by the time it's released to consumers, but I guess not.

6. shandyman Suspended

Well, since BT headphones show up on the iPhone under AirPlay, it makes perfect sense really.....

7. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I noticed if I'm on a call on my iPhone, then open the Phone app on the Watch and scroll down, there is an AirPlay-like button that allows you to switch the call from the iPhone to the Watch.