What does the Apple Store check when buying AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by memo90061, Oct 31, 2014.

1. memo90061 macrumors 6502

I bought my iPhone 6 two weeks ago at the T-Mobile store, and have been thinking of buying AppleCare. I just jailbroke my iPhone though. Do they check anything to make sure it's good?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would have waiting till AFTER I got Apple Care. Apple send a message, not sure if it could detect JB.

3. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

I went to the store and bought AC+ after buying my iPhone 6 new from Swappa. The guy just jotted a few numbers down. I paid and I was on my way. I think it was the IMEI number.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The genius did not take my wife's out of the case, but mine was. I don't remember if they were the same genius or not.

5. memo90061 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the fast replies! I guess it depends on who I get.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Apple sales needs the serial number so they will go to Settings > General > About.

When I got apple care + 2 days after I got my phone, apple sale never inspected my phone. All they did was went straight to the About page for the serial number.

7. JMB1911 macrumors regular

the dont care if its jailbroken, ive taken a phone back that had faulty hardware, it was jailbroken at the time I took it back and they traded it in right then for a new one.

8. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Thanks for this. I just bought a iPhone 6+ and it will be here Sunday and I wondered about that.

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Apple Care + is tied to the serial number so it's likely the rep was jotting down the serial number.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I forgot to mention that they looked at the water damage indicator on both. That's it other than the quick visual inspection. They didn't run any diagnostics on it.

11. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

Your probably correct. I was not paying attention. The point is he did not check for physical damage or if the phone was jail broken or not.