Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Hello everyone -

I'm trying out .Mac to sync up iCal on my Macbook and Mac Mini. I have .Mac pref set up on both computers to sync 'automatically.' However, I have made changes to the Macbook's iCal hours ago and the Mini is still not showing those changes. The Mini also shows that it has not been synced for several hours.

Am I not understanding how this is all supposed to work? My assumption was that 'automatically' means that when something changes on one computer, those changes are sent to the .Mac server and it tells the other computer that there are changes ready for download???!?

-- N

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I think that the automatic part is only one way, that is, if you change something on your computer then it is automatically updated on .mac

I don't think that it will then automatically download the changes to your other machines as I don't think there is any mechanism for .mac to tell a computer to sync.

Usually when switching to another machine the first thing I do is use the menu bar icon to initiate a manual sync, then i know i'm working with the latest data.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Ok. Now I'm confused. I understood the answer above and was about to go and do a manual sync on the Mac Mini and then noticed that it had done it's own sync 10 min earlier and the Macbook's changes are now there!!!

:confused:

-- N

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.