What does the "backups" section of my hdd stand for?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mjmar, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I've been closely monitoring the use of my hard drive in order to determine how much space I will need in my new Mac. When I go to "about this mac" and then click on "storage" it shows the breakdown of what's stored on my hard drive. In this breakdown there's a section called "backups" and it shows that it is taking up over 50gb. of storage on my drive. Does anybody know what this stands for? I use time machine but I thought that only took up space on an external drive. Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version do you use and where is this "backups" folder located?

3. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not a folder, it's a sub-section of the visual breakdown of what type of data is stored on my hard drive. If you go to the apple menu, click "about this Mac", and then click "storage", you will see it. I'm using lion.

4. simsaladimbamba

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Mine says backups are using 2.65gb. I thought backups were supposed to be removed once time machine backs up and those files are only stored if you aren't connected to the time capsule. But I just backed up and it stayed at 2.65. Is something wrong going on?