Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
on the headset/earphone provided, looks similar to other ipod earphones, but it has a button thing on it. what does it do? it's clickable and has a tiny black dot on it.

Pennine

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
Glossop UK
on the headset/earphone provided, looks similar to other ipod earphones, but it has a button thing on it. what does it do? it's clickable and has a tiny black dot on it.

Press it once and it pause's the song
press it twice fast and it goes to next track

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Press it once and it pause's the song
press it twice fast and it goes to next track

or press once to answer/hang up calls, and the black dot is not a dot its microphone so u can speak for calls through the headphones and microphone, like a headset. the calls sound good through headphones

BIrwin49

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Button on earphones? I don't see a button on mine. Where do I need to look? I see a black dot, but that's it...

hmmm

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
i remember how excited I was when I discovered it. I didn't read it anywhere, in fact I didn't notice it until a couple days of owning the iphone. I realized it clicked so figured it was a mic and I could answer calls by clicking on it.

the pause/play on the ipod was discovered a little later. I had to read for the the double click to skip to the next song.

kbunch

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
Tucson, AZ
OMG I did not know about the double click to skip a track. I was really getting frustrated because you can do everything else w/o having to actually use the touch screen, turn up volume, pause / play music but I could not figure out how to skip tracks w/o double clicking the home button and then hitting next.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Seriously, don't make the mistake of believing that the phone is entirely "intuitive"... it's not.

It is intuitive, but you have to actually try things out on the phone to figure out what they are. They're not going to jump out at you and say "click me."

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Apple was right...

If you build a phone for people who don't read manuals, then people who don't read manuals will buy it.

:D

Seriously, don't make the mistake of believing that the phone is entirely "intuitive"... it's not. There's lots of little hidden tidbits that you only find out via manuals, forums, or accident.

iPhone User's Guide

And for those that are too lazy to read the manual, you can learn this, and a lot of other stuff from the guided tour video:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gettingstarted/guidedtour/

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Had the iphone 6 months and this is the first Ive every heard of this. I dont even remember it coming with a manual *checks my box*

Well I didnt find a manual per se, more like a cpl of pamphlets. Looked through them but didnt see anything about the button on the earbuds.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
This is actually one of my favorite features... There ARE quite a few of those though. :)

Never before have I experienced a phone call that sounds like it's coming from the center of my skull (stereo surround, b*****s!!). Love it!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Not to mention the headphones are far less of a style blunder than the bluetooth headsets most people have.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I love having mine when I'm driving or lying in bed but I'll never be seen wearing one anywhere else. And the one that I have is actually decent looking...

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Shame the actual buds are so terrible for listening to music.

Would be nice to have a socket after the microphone/clicker so I can choose my own buds (something like the Sennheiser CX300 would do).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.