What does the F in F-14 stand for?

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Fighter??? I am only guessing as all or most fighters in the U.S Military these days begin with F and Bombers begin with B. Shame though the F-14 was retired back in February and the ceremony last flight was last month.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
quagmire said:
Fighter??? I am only guessing as all or most fighters in the U.S Military these days begin with F and Bombers begin with B. Shame though the F-14 was retired back in February and the ceremony last flight was last month.
Correct. And "A" stands for "Attack". As in F/A-18 or A-10.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Nickygoat said:
So it's not Freedom then?
I'm astonished because that's what the USAF uses them for, is it not? ;) :p
Well it was originally French but some moron switched it to Freedom back when the war started.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
The UK has similar lettering.
MR - maritime reconisance
T - trainer
F - fighter
etc

I am part of the air cadets so need to learn them. It is good fun and i get to fly for free. Its great

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
My Dad was a fighter pilot (USAF and RAAF) back in the 80s. He liked his F/A18, LOOOOVED the F-15 he flew in the states but has never had anything all that positive to say about the F-14.

Another handy hint, never watch Top Gun with an ex-fighter pilot, especially one who was the top instructor towards the end of his Air Force career. It's like watching a medical drama with a doctor - paaaiinful.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Chundles said:
Another handy hint, never watch Top Gun with an ex-fighter pilot, especially one who was the top instructor towards the end of his Air Force career. It's like watching a medical drama with a doctor - paaaiinful.
Nice. I've watched it with a future pilot that is about to start training and at cadets but that is fine among ex pilots as it is American planes not british

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
F (F-14, F-15, F-16, etc.) = Fighter
A (A-10, A-7, etc.) = Attack
B (B-1, B-2, B-52, etc.) = Bomber
C (C-130, C-5, etc.) = Cargo
OV (OV-10, etc.) = Observation
SR (SR-71, etc.) = Surveillance/Reconnaissance
U (U-2, etc.) = "Utility" (which is code for "it's a secret")
X (X-15, X-1, etc.) = Experimental

And then there'd be combinations, like the ill-fated XB-70 "Valkyrie" bomber (an experimental Mach 3 bomber).

I agree about Top Gun... I saw it with my Dad (who was an Air Force fighter pilot) and he found a TON of issues in that movie... "negative 4 G inverted dive" my ass. It'd rip the wings off the plane if you did that.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Next time a 'fighter pilot buddy' or a fighter nerd moans over the movie say "It's a MOVIE nerdass". If I can laugh at Under Siege then pilots can laugh at Top Gun. It's the same thing as computer nerds complaining that scenes in movies are never 'real' but then it would be terminally boring if it was.

Oh, and it stands for Fred.

mooncaine

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2004
clayj said:
F (F-14, F-15, F-16, etc.) = Fighter
A (A-10, A-7, etc.) = Attack
B (B-1, B-2, B-52, etc.) = Bomber
C (C-130, C-5, etc.) = Cargo
OV (OV-10, etc.) = Observation
SR (SR-71, etc.) = Surveillance/Reconnaissance
U (U-2, etc.) = "Utility" (which is code for "it's a secret")
X (X-15, X-1, etc.) = Experimental
What about the V-22 Osprey [or are they still calling it that]?

V for ... Vertical? Variable?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
mooncaine said:
What about the V-22 Osprey [or are they still calling it that]?

V for ... Vertical? Variable?
Could be either one of those. The V series also included a NASA experiment back in the 1970s/1980s (the XV-15) which was a tilt-rotor predecessor to the V-22.

Love the "who the eff is Alice" reference, BTW...

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
clayj said:
I agree about Top Gun... I saw it with my Dad (who was an Air Force fighter pilot) and he found a TON of issues in that movie... "negative 4 G inverted dive" my ass. It'd rip the wings off the plane if you did that.

102 Mistakes in Top Gun

I only got to about 33 of this list, but the number of times they used the blue dummy missiles in that film is, I expect, enough to get any fighter pilot cursing it. :)