What does the Force Touch trackpad feel like?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by deluxeshredder, Jun 2, 2015.

?

What does the Force Touch trackpad feel like compared to the older board-style one?

1. Even better

56.9%
  2. Indistinguishable

34.5%
  3. Nowhere near as nice with its vibroclick

6.9%
  4. Disgusting, worse than Wintel trackpads

1.7%
  1. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

There is surprisingly limited consenus on this.

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'm one of the few users who turn off Force Touch. I have zero use for it. It's just another push down that I don't need.

3. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I really don't use it much either, but I have used it a few times to preview websites. It's a pretty neat addition for which I don't think many people have added features for. Give it time.

4. sunilc macrumors newbie

I agree. The website preview thing is actually very handy. Aside from that, I use it for dictionary definitions, but I used to do that with a three finger tap on my MBA anyway.

I'm sure developers will come out with some more useful ways to utilise this feature.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I think the universal click area to be worth it regardless if force click is supported. Being able to click anywhere on the trackpad and have it feel like a corner click is awesome.

6. sunilc macrumors newbie

Definitely agree with that. The actual trackpad is far superior to the old hinged design. I just didn't mention that as I thought the question here was only about the force touch feature.

7. Dwayne82 macrumors member

I like the new Force-Touchpad. With the old Touchpad, i preferred to Touchklick in silent situations, because the real klick was kind of loud (It annoyed at least myself in silent environment). With the Force-Touchpad there is much less noise at all (if you use the lowest setting), so i don't have the urge to touch-klick anymore at all. The same is valid for the new Keyboard, you can type very silent, if you want.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Developers yes, but if you listen very closely to the keynote where it was introduced (and have had an eye on Apple's patents) I get the feeling that force touch is going to play a very big role in 10.11 and iOS9...

9. Digital Dude, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

Digital Dude macrumors 6502

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    I have it and it seems to work just fine. Frankly, it feels like a regular touchpad so I just leave it as it is.

***UPDATE :
    I received my MacBook about 3-weeks ago as I kept dropping handoff, together with other funkiness'. For the last couple of days' I was on the phone with Apple tech support and we ultimately had to re-install the OS to resolve the issues. Please know I had virtually nothing on the Mac so I was surprised that I had problems from day one.

The good news is a fresh install greatly enhanced the overall performance and dramatically affected the track pads' sensitivity. Now, when I simply rest my right index finger on the pad I feel a constant buzz that's almost annoying, but in a good way.
    MacUser since 1984 ~

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I find the force touch trackpad virtually indistinguishable from the older trackpad.

I have mixed feelings about the website preview feature. It looks cool on paper, but in practice, I found that the preview took so long to load that I was usually better off just opening the site as a new tab, then continue surfing while the website loaded in the background. Likewise, when it did load, the content was so small that I could barely read anything inside. Didn't find it useful, not on the macbook at 1440x900, not even on the 15" MBP.

11. newellj macrumors 601

My opinions:

1. The new trackpad considered as pure hardware is a huge leap forward. You get even pressure from top to bottom, and it's much more adjustable than the old "diving board" pad.

2. I personally still haven't found a use for the Force Touch gesture, but software devs may come up with useful, intuitive things to do with it.

12. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Oh. I voted but must be confused. I thought 'Force Touch' was whereby the trackpad doesn't actually move but still feels like it clicks. Is that incorrect?

13. doobry macrumors regular

I'm really impressed with it. So much so that I still can't believe it's a haptic feedback and not a touchpad with a physical switch under it... I have my old MBP next to me and it feels like it's just a shorter throw switch but a switch just the same.. Really impressive tech!! :-D

14. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

I bought mine and was like hmmmm this isn't really clicking? It feels like a true mechanical click.

Agreed, I don't use the secondary click much at all. I just use it to test drive it and amaze myself and how I'm tricked into thinking it's not a real click lol

15. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

With BetterTouchTool, you can make the Force Touch do pretty much anything you want with a varying degree of gestures or forces. Look at how many different options there are, and you can use then to do any possible command.

Attached Files:

16. thewusman macrumors regular

For those who have it, when you force click do you feel 2 haptic "clicks" when you release the trackpad from it's forced click position ?

On my first rMB I could, with my second (swapped because of dead pixel, May production) I cannot feel 2 subtle clicks when releasing, only one.

Think I preferred the first haptic experience more.

Cheers

Wusman

17. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I've only tried it for 5 minutes, but in my experience I couldn't feel the difference between this and the regular track pad. Well, except that you could click it everywhere, and I really liked that.

18. Dwayne82 macrumors member

I definitely feel 2 clicks when i slowly release the trackpad. You can release the force click, then force click again without releasing the primary click. When i release from force click position fast, there is only one click, i think that the two clicks fuse in this case.

19. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

I rank these inteface devices as such

1. Keyboard input
    2. Mac trackpad
    3. PC trackpad
    4. Force touch

The problrem with force touch is that it's neither new or anything like the real mechanical click.

20. Dwayne82 macrumors member

There ARE new functions at the force touchpad:

- Two click layers
    - Pressure sensitivity
    - Clicking anywhere on the pad without a difference
    - haptic feedback without clicking

so i see lots of potential here

21. windywalks macrumors 6502

I've been to the Apple Store to check out the trackpad on multiple occasions, both on the rMB and new rMBP.
    If I could justify trading in my late 2013 rMBP for one of these, the trackpad would be one of those things that I find to be a cool feature.

22. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

If I didn't know that it didn't actually click, I would swear to God that it was. When you press it, the feedback literally (to me anyway) feels like its clicking. Its very clever!!