What does the future hold for Apple and Nvidia

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbiermann, Aug 15, 2008.

1. mbiermann macrumors newbie

With all the Nvidia GPU failures, I really dont see how Apple would be able to justify putting another Nvidia chip in the new MBP. I guess this goes for any computer company. I am in the market for a new computer and I was planning on getting the redesigned MBP when it is released but then I heard about all the GPU failures. If Apple goes with another 8600 or the newer 9600, nothing will have changed. We will still be gambling with a $3000 laptop. Quite honestly, I am scared of the computer market right now because so many manufactures are using Nvidia chips. I will stop ranting now and get down to the question. Does anyone see Nvidia being around much longer and if they are, does anyone think the major computer companies will abandon them after this fiasco? Thank you in advance for your replies.

2. Yixian macrumors 65816

Who knows, maybe this will force Apple to give us value for money and put a high end card in the MBP.

3. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

if they dont put an ati chip in what is the point? everyone knows the nvidia problems - they would lose alot of custom.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A very good point raised by mbiermann, and fair comment, too. I can't see how nVidia can carry on without coming clean at some stage (but that may expose them to a class action, and/or takeover bid). Unless and until they clean up this mess, (covertly or overtly), I cannot see how they would be an attractive partner for any computer company. Who could trust their products? Who, long-term, would want their products to be associated with a company which manufactures such poor stuff? This would also have (has had!) a very negative impact on the reputations of partner companies.

For Apple, who have prided themselves on the excellence of their products' design and function, and the impressive nature of their customer care, this may well prove a bitter pill. If they admit a problem, again, it will, inevitably, be expensive financially, between product recalls, and possible litigation, (but may add yet further to their excellent reputation); however, if they don't, they may hope to deal with the problem on a piece-meal basis, such as honouring warranties, and Applecare, when individual computers expire. This would be unfortunate, for it is not only products, and consumer confidence, (as well as market confidence) that suffer, as reputations, hard-built, take a crash.

I'm a recent switcher, and happy owner of a MBP. However, for obvious reasons, I'm following this topic with great interest. As I'm still well under warranty, and shall get Applecare in due course, I imagine I'm covered should things go very pear-shaped. Nonetheless, it would be nice to see the undoubted problem acknowledged and addressed. Cheers.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD; iPod classic 30 GB

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Alot of the symptoms i've seen described (i'll note that on my 2x Macbook Pro's as well as the 50 or so in my department, not one of them has had this issue), mostly seem to be heat related.

Now, I'm not denying the fact that the macbook pro design may be prone to faults, especially on the earlier series where thermal grease was grossly misapplicated , which is said to have been fixed on the later series.

But as far as nVidia being "dead" in the water, I highly doubt it. If nVidia billed themselves as a high octane laptop gpu maker, they might have to close shop, but they do much , much more.

They will probably be dead in the eyes of laptop manufacturers, IF a massive recall is required (but it seems like they are just underclocking GPUs to compensate), unless ATI has really crappy offerings in the future, or wish not to work with engineers to get their chips into their mobile platforms.

But the professional (government, academia), high end gaming segment and chipset customers will leave this battle unharmed.

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Actually as I understand it, it's not only mobile chips that are ****ed up.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The future is both will go bankrupt and Intel will take over both companies.