What does the M7 do for ME?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel3102, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Hey guys! I have a 5s, but I'm not big on fitness apps; so what else does the M7 do? Like, will it shut off wifi when it knows I'm driving? Because I don't use fitness apps, what does it do? :apple:

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As of now, it won't do much for you outside keep track of your movement for fitness purposes. Perhaps in the future, but for now, looks like no real benefit for you.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Well unless you think gyroscopic and accelerometer functions are not useful.

4. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

That sucks! I hope Apple will make better use of it in the future :)

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think some games are slightly faster if it uses the gyroscope or accelerometer.

6. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats cool! I didnt know that the M7 could help with gaming :D

7. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

like asphalt 7 or Real Racing 3?

8. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Its a motion coprocessor, so anything that involves using the gyroscope or the accelerometor should kick on the M7 for supplimental boost.

9. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

Star walk is extremely responsive on the 5s, much better than the 5

10. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Download argus, which takes the m7 info and approximates the number of steps per day. It's really an eye opening thin to see your activity log on a chart. Definitely made me more aware of my activity for my health.

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That's due to the A7 Processor, not the M7.

The M7 does nothing for games, or at least very little. Any benefit for games is from the much improved 64-bit A7 processor.

12. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

I'm not discrediting what you are saying but do you have a source? I'm only asking because I honestly don't know.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

"The new M7 coprocessor is like a sidekick to the A7 chip. It’s designed specifically to measure motion data from the accelerometer, gyroscope, and compass — a task that would normally fall to the A7 chip. But M7 is much more efficient at it. Now fitness apps that track physical activity can access that data from the M7 coprocessor without constantly engaging the A7 chip. So they require less battery power.

M7 knows when you’re walking, running, or even driving. For example, Maps switches from driving to walking turn-by-turn navigation if, say, you park and continue on foot. And if your phone hasn’t moved for a while, like when you’re asleep, M7 reduces network pinging to spare your battery."

Nowhere in Apple's description of the M7 does it say that it does anything to boost performance in gaming, or in anything for that matter. All it does is take over the job of pulling information from the gyroscope, accelerometer and compass from the Apple A chip (in this case A7), in an effort to reduce energy drain.

14. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Hey, that checks out. That's good information. I've always figured it just handled anything regarding the accelerometor and such.

15. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

Star walk is not a game

16. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It improves your battery life in each and every circumstance that motion data is already being collected. It doesn't do anything that wasn't already happening before. It was never intended to. End of.

17. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

The new game Modern Combat uses the M7 and when you play it's like virtual reality.

You can move around wayyyy faster and dodge gunshots and things.

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I am aware - either way, the M7 only provides battery saving benefits, it does not improve performance for any app, at least, not the way that Apple describes it.

The performance difference for Star Walk, or any such app, between the 5 and 5s will be because of the 64-bit A7 processor that is in the 5s.

The M7 will make little to no performance difference by itself, as that is not the purpose of the chip.

19. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

You didnt understand what i was pointing at. I think the m7 vastly improves gyroscope etc. rendering the star walk app much more responsive than before while you move your phone around to look at the sky. Its like 15fps vs 60fps with MUCH greater percision and 1:1 movement, its pretty awesome actually. Star walk is by no means gpu intensive but its definitely gyroscope intensive and this is where m7 shines apparently.