What does the Macbook pro has going for himself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeandrodaFL, Oct 16, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

A lot of PC manufactures are coping the MBP style, including the black border around the screen and they are offering solutuions with the same hardware for a cheaper price

In addition, the Macbook Air has an insane SSD storage capability

Whats the point of getting a MacBook Pro?

2. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Not too much point in the 13", but 15" and above have dedicated graphics, quad core, better battery life and screen, bigger workspace on high res etc

3. Wattser93 macrumors regular

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

I know it's pointless to feed the trolls but...

MBP vs Pc with similar specs and copied design: I pick MBP for THE OPERATING SYSTEM any day. If your already biased towards windows then why spend your time on a Mac forum (if you are).

MBP vs MBA: MBP has ability to contain TWO hard drives and can UPGRADE the RAM. Air can do neither. Besides just about everyone with a MBP who can afford an SSD has put one in theirs.

Lesson learned.

6. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Ok, answering that you prefer a MacBook Pro over MacBook Air cause it has OS X is really f@#$#@$ up...Air does too...

And since the definiton of Troll apparently means a user who likes windows, I would like to say that I own both a MacMini and a white macbook. I am a Mac User.

7. negativzero macrumors 6502

You can upgrade the SSD on a MBA

8. simsaladimbamba

The advantage of one Mac over the other is depending on the user.
    One user prefers a lightweight Mac with fast storage and can accept limited RAM and CPU power, due to that user's preferences and computational needs.
    Another user needs more power and better graphics and better expandability and more ports and doesn't really care about size and weight.
    And then there are users, who would like the power of the MBP inside the MBA's body, but those a screwed, as they have to choose between portability or power.

So in the end, it comes down to the user, but I guess you already knew that. Or didn't you?

9. Aww macrumors newbie

Aww

I agree that it's dependant on users on what they need.

And also how hard is it for someone to compare the specs between different models? Really?

I use the 17" MacBook Pro because of the higher resolution for my design work.

10. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I knew I wanted at least 8GB of RAM. Can't have that in an Air.

11. swedefish macrumors 6502

No other manufacturer comes close to Apple's build quality, plus all Macs are designed to work perfectly with Mac OS, something which can't be said for any PC until Microsoft enters the PC hardware business.

12. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

13. xpcker macrumors regular

for working, osx is 10000 times ahead of any windows pc. except if you work with excel in great worksheets, it becomes buggy.

if you game a lot like me, having a 2010 15" its "fine" i play sc2 in low with 60 fps

if ur a troller gamer, you need a windows machine, asus, sager or anotherone.

14. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Feed the trolls? Really?
    The user is just asking a question and he is a troll?

Imagine how would be Apple's image if the salesmen in the Apple Store treat all the questions like "troll questions"?

"You are a troll, sir. You are asking me why Apple computer would be better than a Win7 computer which costs 10x less? You are a troll. Get the hell out of Apple Store".

Man, nowadays seems like nobody is allowed to ask 'simple' questions! Seems like the person MUST be a programmer, otherwise they are trolls!

Come on. Make the world a favor and just open your mouth to help. The guy was just asking. Its uncalled to treat him like an idiot.

15. DeadPixel217 macrumors member

lolz.

16. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

A. It's not about the hardware, it's about the fusion of hardware AND software. Don't get me wrong, Windows isn't bad per-se. It's just that Microsoft would be able to offer a much better computing experience if they had one partner, rather than 100. Trackpad gestures fluidity (or lack thereof) on most Windows laptops is a good example of lackluster hardware-software cooperation.

B. The Macbook Pro is better than Macbook Air in a number of ways. It's more powerful, has wider connectivity options, better/easier upgradeability (add an SSD and it'll kick Air's @$$), and it's quite cheaper than the MB Air. The Pros also have an internal optical drive (for those who need it) and more screen size options.

17. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

THATS a good answer!

Thanks, man, really, thanks for making this forum a nice place to learn!

Now, talking about "A":
    The thing about Microsoft is real but few people see it. While Apple has to make a software for very few specific machines (imac, macbooks and mac pros), Microsoft has to design their OS to hundreds of machines (Dell, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony, Axus, Blorgs...Blirgs...Blurgs eheh..etc).

18. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

They don't "have" to do anything. That is just their marketing strategy to allow for broader acceptance and market share. They could choose to do as Apple does and market their own "package" like they tried to do with the Zune, but instead they "choose" to market to delve ins software only and not integrate with hardware.

19. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

There's a reason Apple only did well when a software fanatic was leading the company.

Nail and head my friend!

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

My MBP does work flawlessly with OS X, yet that's to be expected. My ThinkPad works flawlessly with Windows 7. They're both terrific.

About the only significant difference in these two 2010 models of _identical_ configuration purchased concurrently, is the $1,000.00 price premium for the Mac.

The MBP is made from aluminum, the ThinkPad of premium carbon fiber composite. Thus the ThinkPad stays looking good longer since it doesn't dent or scratch. It also has the best keyboard in the industry, something that ThinkPads are widely known for. While the chiclet style on the mac is good it lacks the nicely concaved shape on the tops of the keys.

Internally they have the same brand of memory, hard drive, and other components. Having used both of these brands & models concurrently for years, other than small differences they're both the pinnacle of their respective platforms.

21. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I cannot hear this gospel anymore about Software & Hardware integration.
    An OS is an OS as long as you get decent drivers something Asus, HP, AMD, .. are responsible for not Microsoft. For some cheap notebooks they cheap out on those but Business Line Notebooks like Dell Latitude generally come with drivers that easily rival apples.
    Same as with the iPhone Apple gives you updates for a long time. Other manufacturers like Samsung give you stable drivers at release and some updates till all the bugs are straightend out but you didn't get Vista drivers if you bought your notebook with XP 1-2 years before Vista was released.

Apple builds premium Notebooks. The chassis is decent and thin. Until the Samsung Series 7 is released there isn't really any rival that offers similar performance in such a thin chassis. The screens on 95% of all Windows Notebooks are crap. Read notebookcheck.com test and you will see how high they score. Windows Notebooks that score as well usually cost quite a lot too. If a good display and general quality is worth that much money is something anybody has to decide for him/herself.

OSX got much better UI than Windows by default. Windows has the Performance Advantage especially with if you rely on Office which many people do. Office 2011 for Mac is just a poor excuse for an office suite. 2010 on Windows runs faster on a machine that is half has powerful. Same thing with other applications that where the companies making them just don't invest as much in the Mac platform. Windows 7 is also a more efficient OS. Vista was bad but Microsoft did a lot of work and Win8 seems to even improve on it a lot. Lion is kind of the opposite.

As for copying. I don't see many manufacturers copying the Mac style. A lot more popular seems to be the Sony style where the chiclet keyboard also comes from. The lowered keyboard that doesn't rise again left and right had Sony first and now Samsung Series 7 shows it in perfection.
    The glass panel design was an invention from HP but the new trend seem to be less bezel such as in the new Packard Bells.

When I bought my 15" MBP there wasn't anything comparable in terms of Mobility, Display quality and performance. Today I would probably seriously consider deserting OSX again and get a Samsung Series 7 if the black levels/contrast on these panels is really decent as they say on trusted reviews. It is half the price (for aside from OSX) pretty much no short coming but some advantages. I'd still wait for detailed reviews but following the one that is already available everybody who isn't already caught up in the OSX world would be an idiot or has too much money if he chooses a 15" over such a Samsung.

The only thing I would really miss in Windows now would be BetterTouchTool because I am not aware of anything comparable for Windows Multitouch pads. Everything else in GUI one can have in Windows too it just takes quite a bit of work and a couple little tools to get it to Linux/OSX levels unless you pick a preconfigured build you like from someone else.

22. takeshi74, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Be clear with your question. Your OP simply states "What's the point of getting a Macbook Pro?". If you intended to ask "...versus the Macbook Air" then ask that question rather than assuming that people know what you're thinking.

As for the point, the point is always highly subjective. For me, I didn't want to put up with the limitations of the Air. Obviously, YMMV. Supply your needs/wants if you want recommendations relevant to you unless your goal is just to poll people.

The OP starts off like a typical troll. It's not surprising to me that people assumed that the OP was a troll for asking why anyone would buy a Macbook Pro given that there are Windows laptops that have similar styling. Anyone shopping for a machine needs to look past the photos.

Irrelevant. I'm not an Apple sales rep.

Close but not quite. Microsoft doesn't design their OS's for the various manufacturers and all their products. The OS is hardware abstracted. Manufacturers supply the appropriate drivers and ensure that they meet standards. Even so, as you attempt to point out, that can cause issues as hardware and software are not as closely aligned as they would be when the same company produces both the hardware and software. In any case, this isn't relevant to the OP either.

The OP's trollish intro is what everyone's fixated on. The OP is really asking about comparing the Air to the MBP.

"As long as" is the big caveat. Even you state that not all notebooks ships with decent drivers. It's really a matter of preference. For some, it doesn't matter. For others, it does. Never assume that your preferences are universal.

You haven't been paying attention to new and upcoming products.

23. mcphee7 macrumors member

Not much point in the 13"?

Nonsense

----------

The forum police are here!

24. jollygoodamy macrumors regular

[​IMG]