What does the new iMac update mean

Discussion in 'iMac' started by covertsurfer, Apr 28, 2008.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

I have been holding out for a Montevina based iMac recommended by other posters. Speculation led to a release at WWDC but with the recent update will we see another update at WWDC?

Also with the update how does this affect technical specifications? I know Montevina was going to have 1066FSB which the new update has but I think Montevina was going to have DDR3 RAM but the update doesn't have this. Is this new update just a slightly tweaked version ready for the Montevina release?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Some have speculated that in the front page thread.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Back when the notebooks were bumped up, I read some articles saying that Intel was discontinuing whatever processors were on those within months. Therefore, these "minor" updates are so Apple can actually keep making the machines.

I don't know all the specs between the different processors and motherboards/chipsets, so I can't really tell you much more. I gave up trying to know that info a few years ago. :)

4. ROFISH macrumors newbie

ROFISH

Considering the numbers, it looks like both Apple and Intel overclocked some Santa Rosa chips to Montevina speeds. Considering that the iMac won't benefit from Montevina other than the speed bump (WiMax on a desktop?), I doubt the iMac would go directly to Montevina considering this significant speed bump, especially with the FSB. We'll see a Nehalem iMac at MacWorld in January 2009.