What does the PS4 announcement really mean for a gamer ?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Devil's Refugee, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/21/http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/21/what-does-the-ps4-announcement-really-mean/what-does-the-ps4-announcement-really-mean/

I get the impression from the announcement that everything is still in flux and subject to change and confirmation as the fallout begins. Whether it was a deliberate strategy I’m not sure but Sony seems to be filling in an awful lot of blanks after the fact when people begin to speak up, and with a 10 month window before release they’ve got enough time to correct some of the more important aspects people have a bone of contention over.

2. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

For me it was the first time I actually thought sony have some idea of what they are doing. For once they seem like the organised company which is odd because they are usually the ones haphazardly following up everyone else and releasing things later.

They have what looks like good hardware, good features, third party developers on board, cross platform gaming is already possible. Sony have a relationship with Valve already and now they wheeled out Blizzard, Diablo 3 is a fine game but I get the feeling that Sony and Blizzards new relationship will go beyond just that game. If they have cross plat form play in Diablo 3 between PS3/4 and Mac/PC it's another boon for Sony and something Microsoft can't manage with their closed ecosystem.

Bungie are multiplatform now but sony have already locked in exclusive content.

Microsoft are going to have to come out with something fantastic to out do Sony this time, realistically all I can think of Microsoft showing are a similar specced box, new controller, integrated kinect, new halo/gears of war. I hope they have something ridiculous up their sleeve because if they just equal what Sony did it will now feel lackluster.

One thing for sure is that if the Xbox is up to par with the potential PS4 they both make the Wii U look worse and worse each day. I can see why Nintendo rushed it out when they did, it won't be anything like the Wii and it would be dead in the water alongside these next gen consoles.

I really hope that Sony can keep pushing cross platform play, its 2013 and I don't think there is much holding back PC players playing with console players on many games, why should we be restricted by the hardware that runs the games?

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As a gamer - Sony did very well.

Accessibility seemed to be key !!

Background downloads that the user is oblivious too - learning your shopping and game habits so it can download a title before you have even decided to buy it...

Try before you buy with Gaikai - no more having to download a 2-3gb demo to find out it sucks.

Play as you download, to alleviate the waiting for the game to download fully.

Remote-play on the Vita with dedicated hardware so in theory all PS4 titles will be able to be played remotely. (one of the best parts of the Wii-U's gamepad - and the ability to do so on the Vita is great)

Developers are important !

Sony seems to have gone all out at making a system developers should have no trouble getting their heads around and the late inclusion of 8gb GDDR5 ram is fantastic. They really are offering developers great hardware and hopefully software tools so that the 'gimped' PS3 ports will be a long distant memory this coming generation.

So all great... BUT!!!!

USED titles are still a big question ??

Clearly Sony who have been frank up to this point, but when the journo's start asking about used titles we get flustered responses and ones that rely heavily on 'semantics' rather than just flat out statements.

I suspect we will have to re-purchase licences or have a paid subscription to one of Sony's services in order to run used games. They are certainly keeping to too close to their chest at this stage.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As a gamer I can't wait to get a PS4. I think some aspects need looking at (transferring PSN games to the cloud service) and a lot of things do fall on developers rather than Sony themselves (Vita integration, deep social connectivity). As we've seen on every other device ever - unique system features are rarely implemented. What ever happened to Spotpass, Kinect, Move, Near?

And I'm really glad they've added in the suspend play feature. That's something I love on handhelds.

But what I do think is that Sony have given an amazing platform for developers.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think the PS4 is the first piece of gaming hardware in a long time that's made me go 'wow'.

Can't wait to try it!

Love all the software features such as downloading games before you buy them, play as you download, and the new UI looks great too.

On the hardware side, obviously better GPU/CPU will mean better looking and hopefully more in-depth games, but little things like a headphone port on the controller make this seem complete.

6. TedM macrumors 6502

from what I've seen the ps4 is on the track for success. Glad to see not everyone is going to crash and burn. Though the verdict isn't in just yet. The new infamous trailer was pretty sweet though. That helps :]

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm excited to see whats to come in the form of content. I think the PS4 open nature will bring in some wonderful games just like the PS3 indie offerings. Instant start up,resume playing and instant demo/full download play is pretty sweet if you ask me.

I'm also excited to hear Sony asking all developers to test their PS4 games/map the games for the Vita...All PS4/PSN games will be playable on the Vita:eek::D

I still think that the DS4 is one sexy looking controller and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Bless

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Actually, the Wii U is an awesome system, especailly when Nintendo drops the price of the basic unit to $249 when the other new ones appear at $429....

9. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Which is fine and dandy, but can the Wii-U survive 9 months of 50,000 sales (or less) without a price drop, or that killer game? Hell, the PS3 surpassed the 360 in installed base (77 Million) in January which isn't bad since it was released a full year after the 360. I hope Nintendo figures out how to sell the Wii-U, because what it's doing isn't working.

I'm excited for the PS4, I'm digging the idea that we're actually going to get colors from developers, instead of games that are nothing but shades of brown and red.

There's been rumors that PSN+ members will have either free access or a discount to the streaming former console game system. I think either will really help to sell both the PS4 and PSN+. Pay $50 a year, get 18-20 free PS4 games a year, and access to all your favorites from the PS3, PS2, and PSOne.

10. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

That's great but right now hardly anyone wants one, its still yet to be seen how well it will handle the big multi platform titles too.

I will buy one some day but it will have to cost around £150 or less for me to even consider it.