What does the Retina depend on (specs)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shorty116, May 8, 2013.

1. shorty116 macrumors member

I'm in the market for a 15 MBP Retina and i was wondering what the display depends on. To be more precise: 8gb of RAM should be enough for me (graphics designer for web and print, no sound or video editing)… Would 16gb of RAM help the display in any way or does more RAM only matter for editing files and stuff. Does the Retina display only depend on processor and graphicscard speed?

2. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

No..

And you can easily run 2 display's off a normal Macbook Pro or normal iMac with 8GB RAM. It's not a hardware issue. With 2 displays connected to an iMac (while still running the iMac display). Everything is smooth. So the "small" amount of pixels on the rMBP is not the reason why it lags. It's some software issue (that Apple will hopefully get fixed soon).

3. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

I'm starting to think it's not a software issue.. it's a massive resolution for a HD4000, maybe it's just not ready to handle these resolutions yet..

i like my retina, but i'm over the fase of waiting for a software update.

But what do i know.. just seems like the obvious excuse people tell themselves to justify their expensive mac, the MBPR has been out for a long time now.. after first week people said "yeah it's an easy software fix.. it'll probably come next week or so"..

i'll be awaiting my insults.

4. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

"Lagginess" (for example in web browser scrolling) is due to software issues. Rendering in HiDPI mode is very dependent on single-threaded-CPU performance, not GPU.

Read Anandtech's analysis here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6495/...erformance-on-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

The good news is that such issues can be fixed with software. The current version of Safari doesn't exhibit any lag issues that I can see, although the current webkit build is still even smoother.

The HD4000 is more than capable of driving a retina display for general use, although not if you want to run the latest games at native panel resolution.